Restore deleted courses from trashdir in FTP download/backup

Restore deleted courses from trashdir in FTP download/backup

by Samantha Ford -
Number of replies: 0
Hi there, I have searched the forums and can't find anything that answers my scenario.  I'm hoping someone may be able to shed some light for me.

A few course modules were deleted (incuding forums; books; labels; activities etc.) following a minor dispute.  I'm not sure exactly what was deleted but I can see from the logs that it was a series of modules/courses and I can see the module IDs.

We are running moodle 2.9.  Our site is hosted so I only have access to the files via FTP and file structures via cpanel as well as the database via MyPhP.

This data was deleted around the same time that i performed a back up via FTP so I have all the deleted data in the trashdir folder on my PC.  They have been already been cleared from trashdir directly on the server by the cron job.

Can I simply FTP these folders back up to trashdir on moodle and then restore the courses and data via courses/restore?  I dont have access to the backend but could ask our hosts to restore the files if it needs to be done this way.

The other issue is that i don't know exactly what was deleted, I only have module IDs via the logs and I am slightly concerned about overwriting data. I am assuming that entire courses were deleted meaning that and entire course will be restored thus (hopefully) not affecting any other courses.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

TIA
Sam

Average of ratings: -