Allowing new quiz attempts?

Allowing new quiz attempts?

by Fig Newton -
Number of replies: 9
Is there a way to allow a single student a new attempt at a quiz? I have tried deleting an attempt, but it only seems to remove the quiz grade. It does not allow a student who has maxed out their attempts to try the quiz again.

Fig
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Fig Newton

Re: Allowing new quiz attempts?

by Just H -
That's strange, i've done exactly that 3 times in the past 2 weeks and it worked fine?
In reply to Fig Newton

by Gustav W Delius -
I vaguely remember there being a bug with this in the past. Are you using the latest version?
In reply to Fig Newton

by Basil Gohar -
I am experiencing exactly this same issue.  We are running 1.5.2.

The behavior, as I understand it, can be described as follows:
  1. For every quiz, the number of that attempt (not as in unique id, but as attempt #1, attempt #2, etc., for that quiz) is stored in the "attempt" field in the mdl_quiz_attempts table.
  2. It seems that, when Moodle checks whether or not a student is eligable for another quiz attempt, it queries only the MAX value of all the student's "attempt" fields.  So, two possible behaviors follow, assuming the student had used all his previous attempts:
    1. The teacher has deleted his most recent attempt, and therefore, MAX(attempt#) would be less than the total permitted for that quiz, and he can reattempt.
    1. The second scenario is when the teacher deletes an attempt that was not the most recent attempt.  In this case, MAX(attempt#) is still the same as the maximum value permitted for that quiz.
The more appropriate behavior would be to actually query the number of attempts that a student has, and not the highest value of that attempt field, assuming that we want the behavior of a teacher deleting a quiz attempt to allow more attempts - which I think is the most intuitive behavior, from my perspective.

I will search the bug reports and the changelog for 1.5.3 and see if this was address in either.  If not, then I'll try and fix it myself...and maybe someone can show me how to submit a patch, if anyone else wants this fix.
In reply to Basil Gohar

by Basil Gohar -
Apparently it was fixed in 1.5.3.  This is the relevant bug report:

http://moodle.org/bugs/bug.php?op=show&bugid=3950

I couldn't find it because it was described in a way different than I was thinking:

Bug #3950 - Re-attempt button inconsistency for multi-attempt quizzes

Hopefully posting it here will associated it with the search terms I was using for others to find it as well.
In reply to Fig Newton

by Josep M. Fontana -
Excuse me for the ignorant question, but how do you do it to allow a student to retry with a quiz?

I have a placement test that uses the quiz module and some students have clicked on the submit and quit button and now they cannot access the quiz again. What is it that I'm supposed to do to allow them to re-take the quiz?

Josep M.
In reply to Josep M. Fontana

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I have found that deleting the student's attempt will allow them to re-take the quiz for Moodle 1.5.3+
In reply to Anthony Borrow

by Josep M. Fontana -
Hi Anthony,

Thanks for the quick response. But that's what I don't know. How do you delete the student's attempt? For the life of me, I cannot find anywhere where I can delete the student's attempt. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Josep M.
In reply to Josep M. Fontana

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Easy enough ... When the teacher clicks on the quiz, they should be taken to the info tab of the quiz with a link that says "View xx quiz attempts (xx Students)". Once you follow that link a list of the student attempts will come up. On the left there should be a checkbox. Check the student attempts that you wish to delete and then go to the bottom of the page where it says "Select all / Deselect all" there is a drop down box that says "with selected" - choose the "delete" option. Let me know if you have any other questions. Peace.