Customization

Customization

av enrique fanjul -
Antall svar: 16

I have set up a site in Moodlecloud.

I'm having problems customizing the site. 

I have discovered that when a visitor goes to the site, he is taken directly to the login page. It´s not possible to change the "force users to login".

We need to put some instructions to new visitors, about how to register, buy a course, show the available courses, etc.

I have tried to edit the language string, for the login page, but it seems that it's also impossible to edit it.

Do you have any idea how is it possible to edit language strings, or Moodlecloud does not admit this, either?

Thank you.

Enrique

Gjennomsnittlig vurdering: -
Som svar til enrique fanjul

Re: Customization

av Randy Thornton -
Bilde av Documentation writers

Enrique,

You can put instructions for login and sign up in Site administration > Plugins > Authentication > Manage authentication > Instructions.

If you need to give more directions or other content to everyone after users log in, you can also set  them to go the Site front page instead of their user Dashboard by setting Site administration > Appearance > Navigation > Default home page for users to Site.

Som svar til Randy Thornton

av enrique fanjul -

Randy, very useful information. Thank you!

av Randy Thornton -

You're welcome.

Also, yes, it is possible to change the language strings in Language customisation. Documentation on how to do that is here: https://docs.moodle.org/32/en/Language_customisation

Randy

av enrique fanjul -

Thank you again!

Unfortunately, it seems that Moodlecloud (which I'm testing these days) does not support language customization.

Enrique

av Mike Churchward -
Bilde av Core developers Bilde av Plugin developers Bilde av Testers

Hmmm. Interesting. The language customization interface seems to allow you to change language strings and save them. But you're right. The changes don't seem to take effect. I wonder if that's a bug on Moodlecloud?

mike

Som svar til Mike Churchward

av Mary Cooch -
Bilde av Documentation writers Bilde av Moodle HQ Bilde av Particularly helpful Moodlers Bilde av Testers Bilde av Translators

I just tried changing the custom login instructions for email based self registration on my moodlecloud site and I did see the change:

Som svar til Mary Cooch

av Mike Churchward -
Bilde av Core developers Bilde av Plugin developers Bilde av Testers

Maybe it works for some strings but not all? I changed the "Course request" string to "Class request". The change still shows in the language pack editor, but does not show in the interface.

mike

Som svar til Mike Churchward

av enrique fanjul -

Yes, I think it shows in the editor but not in the front page.

This seems to be a serios limitation of Moodlecloud.

Thank you for your contribution.

Enrique

Som svar til Mary Cooch

av Felipe Sanchez -

How do you do that?

av Chris Reid -

Hi Enrique, 

You are correct. Support for customised language strings is limited on MoodleCloud.  This is to ensure optimal performance for all MoodleCloud sites.  So while you are able to make the changes to the language pack editor, the change may not appear on your MoodleCloud site. Access to the editor is allowed as there are some customisations that will work. Unfortunately, there is no definitive list for the customisations that will work across the many language packs.

Chris

Som svar til Chris Reid

av Randy Thornton -

Chris and Mary,

I think this is an issue HQ should address. It should either work fully or be turned off until it can be. Or at the very least have some warning.

Since an important part of Moodlecloud's mission it to allow people to try out Moodle, for every person like Enrique who reports the issue, many people will just think it is the way Moodle works, never look into the issue, and so get a bad impression of Moodle as buggy and unreliable. And language customisation is one of those features where Moodle really stands out, it is done so well.

Randy

Gjennomsnittlig vurdering:Useful (2)

av Chris Reid -

Hi Randy,

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions. 

MoodleCloud's aim is to provide as many standard Moodle features as possible. Sometimes we disable a feature to ensure the overall Moodle experience is a good one for everyone on the service.    

I agree language customisation is a great feature in Moodle and we will continue strive to find a way to implement it on MoodleCloud without impacting on site performance.  In the meantime, we will implement a warning message as you suggest to ensure it is clear to users that the feature isn't supported.

Thanks

Chris

Gjennomsnittlig vurdering:Useful (1)
Som svar til Chris Reid

av Randy Thornton -

Thanks, Chris.

I think a warning would be good thing. People will understand they are working a environment that's more controlled that if they had Moodle themselves. As long as that's clear, it will work. For instance, with the various admin setting config presets, which are clearly marked, I can easily explain to potential Moodlers what that means and why.

Randy