Category enrolments with System role

Category enrolments with System role

by Zafer Altug -
Number of replies: 3

Hi, I'm newbe at moodle, and I use moodle 3.2. I have three type of system user which I want to enrol the each type of users to three different categories. I've tried "Category enrolments" plugin with system roles which I've defined. But I can not find no way to enroll them without adding the users' role under "Assign roles" in the category properties. The system role which I've defined is listed under "Assign roles" but "Users with role" count is zero. "Category enrolments" works only if I readd the user to the role twice under "Assign role" tab. 

I saw cohorts but unfortunatelly cohorts is not available to assign users to categories. It is useful for enrollment users to courses.

What should I do to auto enroll my users according to their roles to the desired categories?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Zafer Altug

Re: Category enrolments with System role

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

I don't think there is a way to do this automatically.  The thought is that normally you do not have many users that are given permissions at the category level especially if they are able to create users etc...

I am confused by you saying you have to add them to your role twice?  

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Emma Richardson

Ynt: Re: Category enrolments with System role

by Zafer Altug -

By saying "twice", I ment that I should add user to a system role under "Assign roles" tab of category  to achieve category enrollment. But which user already has that system role. 

For example I have categories about football and basketball games, for user roles footballers and basketballers. If someone(user) has a futboller role, he can saw all the courses under the football category without needing to manual enrollment. My wish is doing something like that.

In reply to Zafer Altug

Re: Ynt: Re: Category enrolments with System role

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

In that case, I would use cohorts and just add the cohorts to the courses themselves instead of the category.  A little more setup initially but a lot of time save moving forward.