documents should be read only

documents should be read only

by Abu Ali -
Number of replies: 10

dear moodle experts !

i would like to inform you that i have uploaded some documents on the course but my requirement is that user will read only those documents. they should not be able to download those documents. please inform me how can i perform this operation.

thanks

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Abu Ali

Re: documents should be read only

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Why do you want to do that, and what do you mean by download the documents? 

In reply to Abu Ali

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Can't be done... whatever anybody tells you. 

If they can read it they can download it. They basically *have* downloaded it to read it. 

Please don't take this the wrong way, but if your learning/business model relies on people not being able to save your documents you might want to think if the model is sensible.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Howard Miller

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Rather spookily I was about to link to the Resources FAQ where this question is dealt with  - and I saw a link to a forum discussion here: Regarding uploading content production -this same question was asked on the 8th Jan last year (today  is the 9th) and in that forum I wished Howard a Happy New Year wink and was about to do it again in this discussion!

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Happy New Year Mary...

You must have known I'd be all over this (my favourite subject). big grin

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

It is probably worth saying that the limitation (or feature) is based on how the web works not anything to do with Moodle. The internet and web may seem like a collection of computers, but for practical purpose the interesting thing is that it is a massive device for copying digital bits.

In reply to Marcus Green

by Howard Miller -

Yep. The www (or the HTTP protocol if you will) is for getting documents from one place to another. Not to stop you from doing it. 

It's absolutely nothing to do with Moodle.

I don't see it as a limitation. It's the same as saying "I want this book to be readable by this person but nobody else". You have to think how to add value so that just having the document doesn't confer a big advantage.

And so on... wink

by Mike Churchward -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

It's the same as saying "I want this book to be readable by this person but nobody else".

Good analogy!

In reply to Mike Churchward

by Abu Ali -
Thanks to all of you for giving me answers. I understand it positively all of the comments but my purpose of this post is that we have some secret document that we want to share it among the staff and students. just like institutional policies, some forms or other management related documents consisting of 100 or more pages in pdf format. 

now i need your suggestion, how can i secure these documents. whether i have to use in course or make it static pages.

sorry for that for insisting you. just i want your kind suggestions on these if it is possible.

In reply to Abu Ali

by Derek Chirnside -

Abu, It is not possible, what you want.

Follow the logic from the other guys just saying it in a different way, they were just having a little bit of fun because this question comes up so often: 

1. Where is the document (on the sever)
  2. How do they read it on their screen (gets downloaded from the server to computer that gets displayed on screen)
  3. Can you stop them snaffling it, hacking into computer to make copy, making screen snaps etc (no)

Sorry.  So the answer is still 'can't be done'  ie it is logically impossible.

Suggestions follow

• The closest you can come to small level of security is have the document ONLY on a network drive accessible ONLY inside the building on the network and have CONFIDENTIAL written all over it and use PDF with disable printing/editing (like here: http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/2347/adobe_acrobat_8_prevent_editing_printing_pdf/)
  • A slightly higher level of security has personalised copies with people's names on it.  (There are technologies to do this).
  • One further step is to scan paper copies to PDF - not create PDF digitally.  This means there is NO chance of selecting bits of the text in any hacked PDF document and copying.
  • Finally, implement some sort of tracking of documents and useage/reading: every open, download etc.  Costs a lot.

A big organisation here has reasonably high levels of security.  There was a problem with a leak.  $200,000 of investigation could not pinpoint who or how.  http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/industries/87067469/ngai-tahu-spends-200000-hunting-leak-to-the-media

-Derek
Not an expert in this question.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Abu Ali

by Howard Miller -

Print out the document.

Give it to them to read and stand next to them the whole time so they don't copy it. 

Take the document back off them.

Hope they don't tell anybody what it said. 

wink

In all seriousness, if these documents have value (i.e. a person will get some advantage by distributing or selling it) then, sooner or later, somebody will do this no matter what you do. If the document doesn't have any value then none of this matters.