VideoJS: (potential) data-protection issue

VideoJS: (potential) data-protection issue

by Samuel Witzig -
Number of replies: 2

When using the VideoJS-player with Moodle 3.2 on a testing server or in the MAMP-environment, a youtube javascript is loaded every time when loading a page from Moodle (it does not matter whether loading the dashboard, settings, a course, an activity or anything else). I have seen this when using Firefox with NoScript. I have turned off the youtube block, the youtube respository, have unchecked the global setting "media_videojs | youtube", no help. Only when turning off the VideoJS-Player (by "closing the eye" in the global settings), youtube-javascripts are not loaded anymore.

Is there any other way to let Moodle avoid loading a Youtube-javascript with every page? It would be unfortunate if I had to turn off the VideoJS-player on our Moodle-server due to data-protection issues. I guess the IP-address and probably additional information is transmitted to google when loading the youtube-javascript, and in this case, I have a rather large problem with the data protection regulations which we have to comply to.

If there is no other way to avoid loading the Youtube-Javascript, I suspect a lot of institutions outside the US (especially in the European Union) will have a problem with Moodle 3.2/VideoJS-Player, and I would therefore create an issue on tracker.moodle.org.

Best,
Samuel

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Samuel Witzig

Re: VideoJS: (potential) data-protection issue

by Paul Holden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Moodle Workplace team Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

I don't have an answer, but it's also discussed here with a suggestion to create a new issue in the tracker.

In reply to Paul Holden

Re: VideoJS: (potential) data-protection issue

by Samuel Witzig -
Thanks for the link to the discussion, which I did unfortunately not see. I continue the discussion there.