“site home” section in side menu is missing in Moodle 3.1

“site home” section in side menu is missing in Moodle 3.1

by Yezi Yang -
Number of replies: 1

It is very impressive to see the new features of Moodle mobile 3.2. Since our institution is using Moodle 3.1.1, there is a big problem about the mobile 3.2. The “site home” section in the side menu is missing in the Moodle mobile 3.2 when connecting to Moodle 3.1 (Pic 1), while the section is shown in Moodle mobile 3.1 with Moodle 3.1 (Pic 2).

So I hard code the “site home” section in file core/components/sidemenu/tempates/menu.html so that the section is shown.

The code I added is following:

<ul class="list dark">
                    <li class="mm-mycourses-handler">
                        <a menu-close class="item item-icon-left" ui-sref="site.mm_courses" title="{{ 'mm.sidemenu.mycourses' | translate}}">
                            <i class="icon ion-ionic"></i>{{ 'mm.sidemenu.mycourses' | translate}}
                        </a>
                    </li>

<!-- START: ADDITION 06/Jan/2017 - add side menu "site home" -->

<li>
                        <a menu-close class="item item-icon-left ng-binding" ui-sref="site.mm_course-section" title="Site home" href="#/site/mm_course-section">
                            <i class="icon ion-home"></i>{{ 'mm.sidemenu.news' | translate}}
                        </a>
                    </li>

<!-- END: ADDITION 06/Jan/2017 -->    

<li class="item text-center" ng-if="(!handlers || !handlers.length) && !areNavHandlersLoaded()">
                        <ion-spinner></ion-spinner>
                    </li>

After adding the code, the section shows correctly. But when clicking into it, it shows no content.

However, the code works well in the mobile app 3.2 when connecting to the Moodle official demo site http://school.demo.moodle.net/, which I think is in Moodle 3.2. When clicking into the section, the hard coded section jumps to the site homepage, the same with the built in “site home” section. The URL is “index.html#/site/mm_course-section”, when I open the app in Google Chrome.

The “site home” section is quite an important section, which leads users to Moodle site homepage. And users are used to view site homepage information in this section in the Moodle mobile apps before. Since Moodle 3.2 is released shortly, most of institutions are not upgraded to Moodle 3.2 yet. It means using the new version of Moodle mobile will lose a important user habit. I really hope you can tell me how to customise the Moodle mobile code, so that the “site home” section can still be shown under Moodle 3.1 website.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Yezi Yang

Re: “site home” section in side menu is missing in Moodle 3.1

by Juan Leyva -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Yezi,

the Site home option is not enabled if we detect it doesn't have content viewable for the user. If your site home does not have activities, you won't see anything.

We are improving this for the next release, it will display all the information that the Site home displays (like the list of courses, course search, categories) but it will require Moodle 3.2.

What is not clear to me in your message, is that previously that option was displaying something in your site.

Regards, Juan