Timer in Lesson keeps counting down even if I exit the lesson and go to the main menu

Timer in Lesson keeps counting down even if I exit the lesson and go to the main menu

by Zhivko Z -
Number of replies: 6

Moodle 3.1.2

Hello,

My timer in Lesson keeps counting down even if I exit the lesson and go to the main menu. So, I can go to another activity and when later on come back to this lesson, the lesson would be over.

This way – a student can start the lesson and exit, it will anyway be completed even though the student is not there. This happens even if I setup the completion requirement to be – student must reach the end of lesson, and student must spend certain amount of time in the lesson… Is this normal??

Thanks

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Zhivko Z

Re: Timer in Lesson keeps counting down even if I exit the lesson and go to the main menu

by Stephen Bourget -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

It does sound like a bug, but I'm not sure it would be an easy one to fix.  There was a lot of disagreement when the time completed completion rule was added to lesson since there are many ways a student could "cheat" that system. (See MDL-48715 for the background)

Unfortunately there is no successful method for making a student spend X minutes in a lesson.  They could simply open the lesson in a new tab, go to lunch and come back and it would also be completed.

You could try adding a couple of additional completion rules to your lesson requiring a specific grade or the end of the lesson reached along with your time requirement.  That may help get you closer to what you are trying to accomplish.

Average of ratings:Useful (1)
In reply to Stephen Bourget

Re: Timer in Lesson keeps counting down even if I exit the lesson and go to the main menu

by Zhivko Z -

Thank you for the feedback, Stephen!

by Henry Quinn -

Hi Stephen. 

I was wondering if you had heard of any progress towards extending Activity Completion based on Minimum Time Spent to SCORM modules? 

I know that it is controversial in some people's eyes but for me, it's a requirement.  The people I do volunteer work for are audited by government agencies and they require minimum amounts of time spent on modules.  Unfortunately this form of Activity Completion only works on Lessons sad

Thanks,
Keanu

In reply to Henry Quinn

by Stephen Bourget -

I'm not aware of any work to bring that feature to the scorm module.  You may want to post in the SCORM forum and see if anyone else is interested in that feature.  If you do find other interested users, then you may want to create an improvement request in the Moodle Tracker.

by Henry Quinn -

Thanks for the reply.  I was wondering about that... I will check out Moodle Tracker.  I am not familiar with the Moodle community and how things are done, but would it be acceptable to pay one of the core Moodle developers to add this function into the core code within 3 days?  I wouldn't even know who to ask.... but I would like to make a donation to get this existing function put into the SCORM module.

Keanu

In reply to Henry Quinn

by Stephen Bourget -

If you are looking to fund development of this feature and need it in a timely manor, then I would suggest contacting one of the Moodle partners.  I believe SCORM is currently maintained by Dan Marsden (a community volunteer), but a lot of work has been done on that module over the last few years by the Moodle partner Catalyst IT.  It might be worth reaching out to them.

-Steve