file type indication in the file list in the resources pages

file type indication in the file list in the resources pages

by Di Juwel -
Number of replies: 3

hi

under

activites -> resources

I have a list of files.

some of them are PDF, some are WORD and others.

each file type has a different icon.

so far so good.

problem is, people using a screen reader can't tell the file type.

nothing in the code implies which file type it is until they click it.

the alt is alt="File" when it's either PDF or WORD.
it's important because some file types are more screen reader friendly than other.

is there a way, or feature that can help screen readers tell which file type it is?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Di Juwel

Re: file type indication in the file list in the resources pages

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

It has been several years since I have worked with VI students, but I seem to recall that the screen reader itself has a setting that turns on or off that ability, something like "Include file types" or some such. 

Alternatively, the uploading and setting of the attributes of files allows the display of file extensions and sizes via the "Show type" option in "Appearance" of the Edit Settings page. This allows the file type to appear on the same line as the file name and link, which should be accessible to the screen reader anyway, irrespective of the icon displayed.  

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Colin Fraser

by Di Juwel -

thanks for the reply.
I've done what you've suggested under "Appearance" of the Edit Settings page and it DOES show the text with the file type but i'm afraid it's not good enough for the blind tester who tested it with the screen reader because what i'm trying to achieve is for the icon or the link to have this indication like in an "alt" or "title" property.

the screen reader MUST be able to tell the type of the file by the link itself (or the icon before it), not by text next to it in the same line.

the best way is to have the icon have the right "alt" property like "PDF" or "WORD" instead of the generic "file".

it's very frustrating for my blind users that moodle doesn't have an option for this.
it mean a lot to the user if the file is a PDF one and not a WORD one in terms of accessibility 

maybe i'll try the developer forum regarding this.

In reply to Di Juwel

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I'll just move your discussion to the developer forum for you - accessibility in terms of people with restricted site is very important

Average of ratings: Useful (1)