Shared Hosts that CAN and CAN'T Run Joomdle

Shared Hosts that CAN and CAN'T Run Joomdle

by Paul Trau -
Number of replies: 3

I really wanted to use the Joomdle bridge with my Joomla and Moodle installs. But after going through all the installation and configuration steps, only to find that my host doesn't support the required XMLRPC, I was extremely disappointed. Not to mention behind on the project. 

So I thought I would start a thread that would allow users to post the names of their hosts that DO or DO NOT have the required features to support Joomdle on their shared hosting packages. This can save someone else hours of time and frustration.

The host that I use that does NOT support XMLRPC on their shared servers is 1and1. I am not trying to shame them or slam them in any way. I have successfully used them for hundreds of projects over the last fifteen years and will continue to do so. But this is one of the few times they don't support a project.

If you are running the Joomla/Moodle/Joomdle packages successfully on shared servers please list them here. 

Just trying to be helpful.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Paul Trau

Re: Shared Hosts that CAN and CAN'T Run Joomdle

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Paul,

First, I don't work for any company that provides shared hosting nor do I use Moodle on any shared system, but don't hold that against me, please .... read on ...

Understand your pain, but think there will be other issues even if a list of 'shared' hosting providers is created.  The xmlrpc php extension is really tip of the ice burg, so to speak.

For a full featured moodle 3.2 with search and unoconv, as an example, will require installation of:

apache solr

JRE (a certain version) for search which is offloaded from the Moodle DB to Solr.

LibreOffice (even with minimal installation it adds about 500M of space occupied)

and unoconv itself (which is really a python script that calls headless LibreOffice).

IF the shared hosting providers are serious about promising their customers they can run full featured higher versions of Moodle on such systems think they will have to adjust more than just php extensions.   Thus, one might be better off seeking either an affordable Moodle Partner OR looking into VPS with hosting companies OR pre-packaged images on providers like Amazon or Google (Azure?).

But, if others care to contribute to such a list, feel free! ;)

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Paul Trau

by Randy Thornton -
Picture of Documentation writers
Paul, I have a client running WP and Moodle with Siteground. They specialize in WP and Joomla. https://www.siteground.com/

They had no issues with us putting up Moodle and using the Edwiser bridge as well. Support (for a hosting company) has been pretty good so far. They've been flexible on things like multiple PHP & db versions. We are running Moodle with PHP 5.6.29 with no issues.

I haven't done Joomla in a long time, but I've heard Siteground have a good reputation in the community. They are worth checking out.

Randy
In reply to Paul Trau

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

XMLRPC is required for Moodle so any site that offers Moodle hosting should be able to handle it.  The Joomdle plugin really does work well especially if you use the cohort sync plugin they have too.  I have my main Teacher support site with these two.  We host locally but I did not need to install anything that was not required already for Moodle.