How to display ppt in moodle after uplaod via file resource ?

How to display ppt in moodle after uplaod via file resource ?

by Ravi kumar -
Number of replies: 13

Hello Everyone,

How to display ppt in moodle  after uplaod via file resource ?   

Thanks in advance

Attachment pptscreen.png
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ravi kumar

Re: How to display ppt in moodle after uplaod via file resource ?

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Ravi,

You need convert the ppt to something else, for example a swf file, or upload it to a slide-sharing site and embed it.

In reply to Helen Foster

by Ravi kumar -
Helen,

Thanks for reply, can you explain more so i can display ppt? 

In reply to Ravi kumar

by Dr. Indira Koneru -
Hi Ravi,
Here are the steps to upload PPT to a slide repository and embed in Moodle.
  • Upload your PPT to slideshare.net
  • Scroll down and click the Share button and copy the embed code.
  • Embed it either using Label or Page Module.
  • Use the HTML code button in the second row of Atto Editor to embed the code.

HTH,

Indira

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Dr. Indira Koneru

by Ravi kumar -
Dr. Indira Koneru,

Thanks for reply, can i display ppt embed in moodle without using any third party?

In reply to Ravi kumar

by Dr. Indira Koneru -

Yes.

In reply to Dr. Indira Koneru

by Ravi kumar -

Dr. Indira,

Thanks again, can u share the ways how to do ?

In reply to Ravi kumar

by Joost Elshoff -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

It is not possible to display any MS Office documents (.docx, .xlsx, .pptx) in Moodle, as these all need to be downloaded. As stated before, best way to have your presentation displayed is either:

- export as video file (record presentation with/without transitions) and save as a supported video format (preferably not swf, but something more HTML5 such as mp4)
- publish your presentation as SlideShare and embed the slideshare code in your page.

In reply to Joost Elshoff

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Ravi kumar -

Mary,

First of all would like to say thanks for your reply, Here i need to display ppt embed in moodle after upload like pdf does, pls help me out.

I want ppt file also displayed as in below screen of pdf which is display after upload in moodle via file resource.

Attachment pdfscreen.png
In reply to Ravi kumar

by Paula Clough -

Ravi,

Were you able to get your video recorded and uploaded in a file resources? Did you change the Appearance setting on the edit settings page of that resource from automatic to embed?  I find that sometimes it assumes I want to download instead of embed.  

We are assuming that you want the PowerPoint displayed as a presentation, where it will automatically go through the slides in a predetermined timing perhaps with audio available. If that is what you want that, you will have to record it as a video and then embed it in Moodle by one of the formats listed above.  Is that what you want or do you just need the slides available to the students?

If you don't need that, if you just want the slides to be available to the students to read and refer to, you can in PowerPoint 2010 or above save it as a PDF file  by going to save as and finding the pdf format in the drop down for type. When you make your new file resource and upload that file, make sure under appearance you change from automatic to embed.  This will give you just the slides in a long widow no automations will show, but the students can scroll down the slides and see them all in their own time.  Text hyperlinks to websites on the slides will work.

cool

In reply to Ravi kumar

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Personally, I quit using M$ Power Point years ago and switched to Libre Office. Libre Office Impress will open a ppt file. Once you have your ppt in LO Impress, if you go to the File menu, you have the option to export as a PDF. You might have to fine tune some of your slides as some things, e.g. sounds, animations, etc., do not export.

I also used to just create the equivalent of slide shows in a Moodle Book resource. Justin Hunt has just created a HTML Snippets Plugin (https://github.com/justinhunt/moodle-atto_snippet) that would allow you to easily create "slide" templates to preformat each page of the book to make it look more like a slide.

There is also a new plugin for Moodle, iContent, that does a good job of acting like a slide show presentation. But like the book resource, the content needs to be made in Moodle. It has some added capabilities that allow for students to interact with the content, e.g. bookmarks, notes, etc.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to AL Rachels

by Derek Chirnside -

(Sorry OP, I know this is off topic)

AL, do you use iContent?  How easy is it to use?  How quick to create items, or are there a lot of fields etc to complete?

I am interested in content deployment, but this passed me by when it arrived.

-Derek

In reply to Derek Chirnside

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Derek,

I use it only for personal use as I have retired from teaching. Basically, I like to try out just about everything so that when people ask, maybe I can answer.

If you go to my moodle3dev site that I gave you access to a few weeks ago, and go to Miscellaneous > Development > Testing course, in the first topic area you will see a Content Pages - Sample assignment (iContent) that you are welcome to play with. I have duplicates there so I can compare before and after as I try things. Have fun.

Just going back and looking at it now while writing this, with experience, content deployment can be pretty rapid. There are a "good number" of things to complete when making a page and if you take advantage of being able to add background pictures, I can see where you would need to spend more time making sure the text content will be readable.

Also, the new Snippet plugin by Justin Hunt, can REALLY help with speeding up content deployment by letting you have premade page templates. I have been playing around for the past couple of hours making a few templates like they have in slide show programs, such as LO Impress and M$ power Point. I'll put  something obvious in the same location so that you can try it out too.