Quiz Excel download 'this file is not in a recognisable format'

Quiz Excel download 'this file is not in a recognisable format'

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 22

Hi,

I get this error message from Excel when downloading to Excel from Quiz 'Item Analysis' and Grades. The download to Excel from 'Detailed Responses' works fine.

Any ideas why?

Gerald

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Deleted user

Re: Quiz Excel download 'this file is not in a recognisable format'

by Thomas Robb -
Does the same thing happen if you use a different browser or different computer?  What OS are you using and with which browser?  Could it be a problem due to the size of the file?  What happens if you perform the same operation on a quiz that only has a few responses?

Answers to the above might help the authors track down the source of the problem.
In reply to Thomas Robb

by Deleted user -

It happens on my home PC and here on my College PC, both Winxp Pro.

It makes no difference to response size, large or small and hav'nt tried it on a different browser.

Quiz Analysis report.php v 1.14 2005/09/17 12:33:29

Quiz responses report.php,v 1.2 2005/08/26 08:00:19

Quiz overview report.php,v 1.33 2005/09/17 13:09:43

Quiz regrade report.php,v 1.10 2005/10/17 01:18:04

Grade Lib lib.php,v 1.16.2.7 2005/08/04 22:08:08

OS is WinXP Pro, IE6, IIS6, Server is Microsoft 2003, Moodle 1.5.2+, PHP 5.0.5

In reply to Deleted user

by Charles Libby -
This is the same problem in Mozilla, 1.0.5, 1.5 Beta 2, IE on Windows

It also does not work on the Mac OSX but I have not tried it on tiger. The problem is with the format of the Excel file.   I have tried to open it in Excel 97, Excel 2002, and even OpenOffice 1.1, and 2.0.  All of them say the file is in an unrecogizable format.

It used to work, but I have no idea how to fix it either. I am new at programming.

I work around it by downloading the text version and importing it into Excel.  While not the ideal, it works for what I need as it is tab delimited.
In reply to Charles Libby

by Deleted user -

Hi,

thanks for the info, I think this is a case of ' Houston we have a problem ' and I can echo that - 'it used to work'.

Is there anybody out there who knows what has happened, and can fix it please?

In reply to Deleted user

by Eloy Lafuente (stronk7) -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Would be possible to receive some of those wrong excel files to take a look to them?

Ciao smile
In reply to Eloy Lafuente (stronk7)

by Ger Tielemans -
In reply to Ger Tielemans

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
can you provide a text file too? - do these look weird as well?

smile

Dan
In reply to Ger Tielemans

Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi Ger,

I've been examining your example file (looking for something like warnings, notices...) but I haven't been able to find anything obvious. sad

Uhm, I don't know how to do more tests... perhaps some strange character (control char...due to some copy/paste) is the responsible of the error... no more ideas, sorry.

Ciao smile

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
people have apparently been recieving a corrupt text file too - this may be easier to debug - can anyone upload a copy of one here? - not screen shot, but actual file?

thanks,

smile

Dan
In reply to Dan Marsden

by Deleted user -

Hi Dan,

My text files seem to be ok. I have discovered however on trying save the Excell file it is rejecting the automatic [1] added by the php file i.e. quizzes[1].xml.

I've zipped up some files and used the Moodle Features Demo quiz as a test platform.

Gerald

In reply to Deleted user

by Elizabeth Lewis -
This same type of thing happens when you try to download into Excel or to a text file in the CHOICE module too!
In reply to Deleted user

Hi Gerald,

that's pretty strange because, while your excel files was corrupted, I've downloaded them myself from the Moodle Features Demo course and I'm able to open all them without problems at all (both the full grades table and the item analysis table). Both generated as teacher, so everything (all users are there).

Uhm...strange. Any info about the browser being used? I'll try to test with it...

Ciao smile

by Deleted user -

HI Eloy,

Browser is IE 6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2_grd.050301-1519 128 bit

Excel: Excel 2003 (11.6355.6408) SP1 Office Pro 2003

thanks

Gerald

In reply to Deleted user

Uhm,

strange. I've downloaded the FULL grades excel document and the item analysis from Moodle Features Demo under IE 6.0.2900.2180 and I open it without problems at all.

Also I tried to change my language to English and it worked perfectly.

Gerald, when you said that you were using Moodle Features Demo to generate your previous examples, were you talking about the online course, here at moodle.org, or about some sort of copy running under your server?

Uhm, I'm not able to reproduce it here... sad

Ciao smile

by Deleted user -
it's a copy on my server
In reply to Deleted user

Hi Gerald,

I've restored the Features Demo Course in my test server, enrolled some students, filled the quiz and exported both files in Excel format (grades page and quiz item analysis). Both work ok!

After comparing visually your files and those recently generated by me all I can see is that there is one black line at the beginning of your text file. Pehaps is there some blank line at the end of your config.php file? Could it be the problem?

I'm not able to see more differences...

Ciao smile

by Deleted user -

From Quiz 'Item Analysis'

Attachment ExcellError.gif
In reply to Deleted user

by Jean-Michel Védrine -
Hello Gerald,
I think Eloy is right : you have a blank line somewhere (I missed that studying your file)
the fact that 'Item Analysis' and 'Overview' downloads are broken and  'Detailed Responses' works fine suggest to look in files used by the first 2 reports and not the last one (including lang files).
It's very frequent a blank line after the final ?> of a php file cause some trouble.
In reply to Jean-Michel Védrine

by Deleted user -

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the blank line info. I've been through lots of files within the Quiz Mod and found that nearly everyone had this extra line after the final ?> . I've taken these out but still get the problem. I restarted IIS as well.

However there is a change on the Quiz download side. I refreshed the browser after the error message and opening the file.

Retried the download and it actually opens with some unresolved html characters. See files.

I did notice on the one that did open that was named .quizzes[1].xml in the browser header actually saved using egg i.e. .quizzes(1).xml. The corrupt one refused to save because the [] were still within the file name, being banned characters.

Grades: no change in these at all.

Gerald

In reply to Deleted user

by Deleted user -

Hi,

Just recently I discovered that when I deleted the Module Project from the database, Grades were downloadable again into Excel without any problem.

I tested this a few times to confirm what was happening and every time that Project was installed Grade downloads were refused in Excel.

Project is currently off limits until some later date.

In reply to Deleted user

by James Depow -

Hi Gerald,

I had similiar problems.  To correct it I deleted one module (difiwiki) on my test site and hid the LAMS module on my production site.

Jim