RTL languages Issue in Moodle 3.2+

RTL languages Issue in Moodle 3.2+

by Ali Arekat -
Number of replies: 10

Dears,

I upgraded my moodle system to the latest version (3.2+). There is a problem in this version with the RTL (right to left) languages; it seems that this version doesn't support it. And when you use an RTL language at your site, the appearance will be damaged.

I'd appreciate it if you can help me about this issue.

Bests,

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ali Arekat

Re: RTL languages Issue in Moodle 3.2+

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

That may well be to do with the theme - you dont say which theme you are using.

If you are using Boost (the 3.2 default theme) you could well find that goes through a lot of changes over the next few months as Bootstrap4 alpha v6 now incoporates flexbox by default rather than as an add on option, which should make RTL->LTR much easier in most cases, if it is fully adopted in Moodle going forward.

Try installing one of the themes that is known to work and has been tested with RTL languages (I believe Essential has, Flexibase has - but with the proviso that I don't speak a RTL language, so testing is based on user reports of faults) Although these are not necessarily fully tested on 3.2, they should work and if you find any bugs and can report back to the theme developer it may speed up an official 3.2 release of the theme.

I would strongly advise installing on a test server in the first place though to do that testing!

In reply to Richard Oelmann

by Ali Arekat -

Thanks Richard for your reply.

Of course I installed the new version at a testing environment and I tested the new version at the Default themes like Boost, Adaptable, Clean & Simple and the problem is still not solved. I purged all of the caches at the system and I got the same result.

Bests,

In reply to Ali Arekat

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Just to note, Adaptable and Simple are not default Moodle Themes, but third party plugins and issues should be reported to the theme developers. (I seem to remember that Fernando has previously said in another thread that Adaptable is not tested against RTL languages due to not having anyone who speaks such a language on the development team).

For Clean and Boost, are you able to detail what issues you are experiencing (annotated screenshots would help) and post as Tracker items so they can be corrected in these core themes?

In reply to Richard Oelmann

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

RTL does work in M3.2, so could you post screen shots of the problem please Ali?

In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by Ali Arekat -

Please find attached a screenshot about the issue. 

ps: I am using the Arabic Language.

Bests,

Attachment RTL Issue Arabic Language.png
In reply to Ali Arekat

by Ali Arekat -

And this is the original view of the site in English language.

Attachment English View.png
In reply to Ali Arekat

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi, 

Which RTL language are you using? And also which browser?

All dir-rtl and dir-ltr body class selectors and associated CSS have been removed/depreciated from Bootstrabase so none of the older themes will work correctly unless they pickup the automatic functionality associated with such languages and will only work in the browsers that support them.

If I am wrong in saying this then I am sure some one will correct me.

Thanks

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Ali Arekat -

Hi,

I am using the Arabic language and I tested it in different browsers (FireFox, Chrome, Internet Explorer & Safari) and I faced the problem their.

I tested the site by using the Boost theme which is the default and I faced the same problem.

Bests,

In reply to Ali Arekat

by Ali Arekat -

Dear all,

I have just removed the Boost Theme, reinstalled it from an FTP account, and purged all of the caches and the problem is solved!!

Bests,

In reply to Ali Arekat

by Sofiene Ben Amor -

Hi Ali,

I have the same problem, I can't find the boost package on moodle themes to reinstall it after removing.

Do you have the link of the boost theme package?

Thanks