Server connecting to Youtube stealthily in Moodle 3.2

Server connecting to Youtube stealthily in Moodle 3.2

by John U -
Number of replies: 13

HI,

When replying to a forum post or adding a new topic, the uploading file area of the webpage takes a long time to appear and function normally. It seems the server's trying to connect to www.youtube.com which is, however, not available here, and thus the problem.

How to prevent the server from connecting to youtube stealthily?  Thanks!

file uploading area
Average of ratings: -
In reply to John U

Re: Server connecting to Youtube stealthily in Moodle 3.2

by Jon Bolton -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Well, it's not really stealth... Go to Site Admin > Plugins > Repositories > Manage Repositories - and set the YouTube repository to disabled.

In reply to Jon Bolton

Re: Re: Server connecting to Youtube stealthily in Moodle 3.2

by John U -

Thanks for replying. 

Well, the Youtube video repository is already set to be disabled by default, but...

The server tries to connect to Youtube even when everything related to Youtube is disabled or delected,such as the repository_youtube.php.

It's ok with Moodle 3.1, but for Moodle 3.2, this is an annoying problem.

Still the same after deleting these files.

In reply to John U

Re: Re: Server connecting to Youtube stealthily in Moodle 3.2

by Dan Poltawski -

I wouldn't recommend deleting files! smile

I am going to guess that its the new media players introduced in 3.2, try disabling them in Plugins ▶︎ Media players ▶︎ Manage media players.

(I think we should take steps to stop this breaking in such a scenario, I think it would be worth creating a bug in the tracker for it when we find the cause)

In reply to Dan Poltawski

Re: Re: Re: Server connecting to Youtube stealthily in Moodle 3.2

by John U -

Thanks! Yesterday  I disabled the "Multimedia plugins" filter and it worked. Disabling them in plugins didn't work, which I tried days ago.

By the way, the progress bar for uploading files  seems to have disappeared in Moodle 3.2 +. You won't know how long it will take to upload a file. How to get it back?

In reply to John U

by Dan Poltawski -

By the way, the progress bar for uploading files seems to have disappeared in Moodle 3.2

In boost? Looks like you've found a bug, i've reported it as MDL-57560

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Thanks Dan - I noticed that over Christmas when I was uploading videos into our Learn Moodle MOOC but I was too holidayed-out to search for and report it smile

In reply to John U

by Dan Poltawski -

Thanks! Yesterday I disabled the "Multimedia plugins" filter and it worked. Disabling them in plugins didn't work, which I tried days ago.

Can I ask which browser are you using? I have tried to block youtube myself and I don't experience this problem - do you know if whatever is blocking youtube is returning a page with it or a non-succesful http code?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Server connecting to Youtube stealthily in Moodle 3.2

by John U -

I am using chrome. But I tried IE and firefox, too. The browser seemed to have nothing to do with it.

I guess when a webpage, such as a forum post, is loaded, the "Multimedia plugins" filter will try to connect to youtube. If Youtube is available, it's ok. If not (for example, blocked), the webpage will be loaded quickly and fully, but with the webpage busy running as the following picture shows:

As there is no trouble editing the post or saving it, the busy running  may not be noticed. When it comes to the file uploading, it becomes a problem.

It seems you won't experience the problem, with youtube-related plugins disabled or not, if visiting youtbe is ok (either not blocked or through ways to bypass the block) . 

It happened in the background and IE and Chrome just told you it was "connecting". I didn't know what it was trying to connect to until I tried firefox. There wasn't  "a non-succesful http code" or things like that. The browser just tried and tried ( usually more than twelve seconds, while on rare occasions just two seconds) before it gave up and became normal. Maybe a sniffing tool can give more information.

I guess it's the multimedia plugins filter that is responsible for this problem, not the multimedia plugins.

By the way, with Moodle 3.1, you can just paste into a forum post with the original format kept, such as the fontcolor:

Where is the color (the original color here is red)

It's a pity some format gets lost with Moodle 3.1.2 up. Can we have it back?

In reply to John U

Picture of Samuel Witzig VideoJS: (potential) data-protection issue

by Samuel Witzig -

Hi everyone

I did not see this discussion early enough, so I posted a similar question on https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=345425. Discussing the issue on 2 places does not make sense, so here is my post again. I really think this should be fixed...

Best,
Samuel

---

When using the VideoJS-player with Moodle 3.2 on a testing server or in the MAMP-environment, a youtube javascript is loaded every time when loading a page from Moodle (it does not matter whether loading the dashboard, settings, a course, an activity or anything else). I have seen this when using Firefox with NoScript. I have turned off the youtube block, the youtube respository, have unchecked the global setting "media_videojs | youtube", no help. Only when turning off the VideoJS-Player (by "closing the eye" in the global settings), youtube-javascripts are not loaded anymore.

Is there any other way to let Moodle avoid loading a Youtube-javascript with every page? It would be unfortunate if I had to turn off the VideoJS-player on our Moodle-server due to data-protection issues. I guess the IP-address and probably additional information is transmitted to google when loading the youtube-javascript, and in this case, I have a rather large problem with the data protection regulations which we have to comply to.

If there is no other way to avoid loading the Youtube-Javascript, I suspect a lot of institutions outside the US (especially in the European Union) will have a problem with Moodle 3.2/VideoJS-Player, and I would therefore create an issue on tracker.moodle.org.

In reply to Samuel Witzig

Re: Picture of Samuel Witzig VideoJS: (potential) data-protection issue

by Randy Thornton -
Picture of Documentation writers

Go to Site admin > Plugins > Media players > VideoJSplayer > Settings, and uncheck YouTube videos.

See if that does not stop the polling of YouTube every time.

It's still a bug if it happens on every page even if there is no reference to a YouTube video on the page, but perhaps that will turn it off and isolate the issue.

Re: VideoJS: (potential) data-protection issue

by Dan Poltawski -

Hi Everyone,

I have created a bug about this issue - MDL-57608

by Samuel Witzig -
Thanks for creating the tracker-entry, Dan.

@ Randy: That does not help, still loading a Youtube-Javascript on every page.

by Randy Thornton -
Picture of Documentation writers

Samuel,

Right, I experience the same thing. 

Looks to me like there is code in the page below the footer in an inline script that has a set of require statements for videojs, one of which is:

require(["media_videojs/Youtube"]);
So clearly that is being loaded despite the settings.

Dan - Thanks for the tracker!