General Question about Moodle Implementation

General Question about Moodle Implementation

by Alexander Canaan -
Number of replies: 3

Hello,

I am working for a commercial company that is setting up a training academy and I am investigating the use of Moodle for this project.  Moodle has the functionality needed and I am looking for some guidance/thoughts on the following topics:

1.  Due to customer security concerns, the software will be hosted on a closed network that will be stood up at the Academy (no cloud-based system).  Does this mean that students will only be able to access Moodle while they are at the Academy or will they be able to access at home or via mobile devices as well? 

2.  We anticipate approximately 1,000 students per year going through the academy and using Moodle.  The amount of data that students post will be kept to a minimum.  Based on this, I estimated the following hardware/software requirements:

Hardware Requirements: 1 Web server with 3.4GHz quad-core processor, 8GB RAM, 500GB hard drive, Windows 10 Professional.  1 Database server with 3.4GHz quad-core processor, 8GB RAM, 500GB hard drive, Windows 10 Professional

Software Requirements: PHP v.5.6.5 or later, Microsoft SQL Server 2008

Does this estimate seem reasonable?  What am I forgetting?  At this point, I am just trying to estimate total costs and want to make sure I am designing a solution that will work.  A database/IT expert will be doing the actual install and configuration work.

Thanks,

Alex

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Alexander Canaan

Re: General Question about Moodle Implementation

by Davo Smith -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

1. If the network / firewall is configured to allow access to the site from outside the campus, then Moodle will be accessible from outside the campus, if not, then it won't. Moodle ultimately generates a website available on a webserver, so who has access to that website depends on how that server is configured, not on Moodle itself (once you have access to the site, Moodle controls who has access to individual resources within that site).

2. This is a question for the Hardware and Performance forum, not the Developer forum.

In reply to Davo Smith

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I'll move this to the Hardware and Performance forum as suggested.

In reply to Alexander Canaan

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

"How much hardware do I need?" is incredibly difficult to answer. It's peak demand that kills you. How many people will be using Moodle *at the same time*? And that doesn't mean just logged in - doing something?  And what's that something?

For example, 100 people all starting a quiz at the same time is way worse than 100 people logged in browsing stuff.