Feature for the assignment module

Feature for the assignment module

by John Windmueller -
Number of replies: 0

Hi there,

I just thought I'd toss in the notion of adding a feature to the assignment module which would mimic a feature in Ray's Workshop module: give the option of creating a student viewable list of the top (received highest evaluation) submissions for a given assignment. 

It should probably give the setting options of:
(a) Is it anonymous (are student names listed with the exemplary submissions or not)?
(b) How many do you want listed? (top x number of papers, decided by instructor)?

I know, the obvious workaround is that it's possible to just use the Workshop module to do this, but here's my thinking on why it would be nice to see added to the base assignment module:

1. The workshop module is fantastic, but it's complex for instructors to use.  Not more complex than it has to be mind you--it has to ask all the questions it poses--but having first time Moodle instructors set up a Workshop might be a bit daunting when all they really want to get access to is the table of best submission feature. 

2. Generating a examples of the best student work really is congruent with the social constructivist leanings and "ideology" of Moodle.  I love helping foster opportunities for students to learn from their peer learning community, and sharing exemplary work is a wonderful way to foster that. 

Or perhaps another option... 
Create a seperate Module that just creates a table of the best work for any given Assignment.  Maybe even allow students to "comment" (like glossary comments?) on the top examples as a way of discussing what they think contributed to the paper(s) being evaluated so highly. 

Just some thoughts smile
John

Average of ratings: -