Teaching with Moodle

Hide activities and resourses from the site administrator

Picture of fikir zizu
Hide activities and resourses from the site administrator

Hi Moodle

How to teacher hide course activities, resources and topics from site administrator?

I work moodle v2.9

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Just H
Re: Hide activities and resourses from the site administrator
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

I doubt you can and why would you want to?

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
Picture of fikir zizu

I'm a moodle site admin in ma university

For more secure teacher content and teachers trust with LMS  learning teaching technology.

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Just H
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

I think you'd be better working on their trust issues rather than trying to find a way to cripple Moodle. 

If there is a problem with their course who are they going to go to to fix it ? For example, a common problem is Moodle "breaking" due to teachers cutting and pasting from Word, if you can't see it, how will you be able to fix it?

Being the admin, do you have access to the database? If so, are you going to cut that off too so you can't see content?

Do any of the teachers use other sites such as online banking or ecommerce? If so, do they worry about the admins of those sites seeing information that is far more important than an online course?

Bottom line, IMHO, you need at least one person that will be able to see everything.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
Picture of Richard Oelmann
Group Core developersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Plugin developersGroup Testers
I can, to a certain extent, understand the dilemma - I had a similar query a few years ago around some Counselling courses my institution at the time was running and the nature of some of the confidential materials being required for assessment purposes and one of the tutors came up with a recommendation that their assessments should be submitted to a commercial assessment portal that advertised itself as 100% secure.

However, it took only a very quick explanation to reassure them - if its on the internet, there will be a system administrator who can see all of it - at least with a self-hosted system (as ours was) that system administrator is an employee of the university and subject to the professional standards of that institution. Needless to say, there was never any issue over confidentiality, but I was able to support them with a couple of issues around student submissions, which would not have been possible without proper admin access.

One compromise is to create yourself a separate user account for day-day use, so that the site admin account is only used when absolutely necessary - but it is necessary, and it will have access to everything, including the database.

As Just H says, if there is a trust issue within the university, you need to address that rather than anything else - its far more crucial than any technical aspect!

Average of ratings: Useful (1)