Course list not displaying on front page in Adaptable theme

Course list not displaying on front page in Adaptable theme

by Gail Austin -
Number of replies: 50

I'm using Moodle 3.1 and Adaptable 1.3 theme, I have 3 courses on the site and have set the front page settings to display course list. In the Adaptable theme settings, in Front Page Courses, when I select Moodle Default, the courses display on the front page, but if I select any of the other front page courses formats in Adaptable Front Page Courses (Tile, Tile with Overlay), no courses display on the front page. Please help me - what am I doing wrong?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Gail Austin

Re: Course list not displaying on front page in Adaptable theme

by Fernando Acedo -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Please, post screen shot from your Front Page settings page and the Courses settings page.

The tiles are displayed correctly so probably is a bad configuration.

In reply to Fernando Acedo

by Gail Austin -

I can't figure out how to attach multiple files - keep getting an error message saying you can only attach one file - it also wouldn't accept a folder - so I'll send you multiple responses each with one screen shot (sorry, maybe you can tell me how I was supposed to do this)

In reply to Gail Austin

by Gail Austin -

Adaptable front page list courses as Moodle default

In reply to Gail Austin

by Gail Austin -

Here's what displays on front page when Moodle default is selected as course list format

Attachment Adapatable Front page Moodle default course list format.png
In reply to Gail Austin

by Gail Austin -

Here's what displays on front page when any other course list format (Tiles, Tiles with Overlay, Coventry) is selected (nothing, not even blocks). I have cleared all caches, deleted, and re-installed this theme twice already.

Attachment Adapatable Front page Moodle Tiles course list format.png
In reply to Gail Austin

by Fernando Acedo -

I think the problem is not related with the courses listing and it is more a News Ticker issue.

Go to Adaptable > Frontpage Ticker and verify all the news items are using only <p> tags.

We made some changes in the render and now you don't need to add the <li> tags to display the news in the ticker, just <p> tags that are added by default each time you press Enter key.

Try it and post the result.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Gail Austin -

OK first I disabled front page ticker - same result, nothing displays (no courses, no blocks) on front page unless in Moodle Default course list format.

Then I enabled front page ticker and entered the ticker text with <p> tags - same result again. I'll send the three screen shots.

Could it be that I messed something up by installing the latest RC version of this theme, then de-installing it and installing the latest stable version???

First screen shot is front page with ticker disabled, course list format Tile

Attachment Front page Ticker disabled.png
In reply to Gail Austin

by Gail Austin -

now configuration for ticker with p tags

Attachment Config Front page Ticker enabled and with p tags.png
In reply to Gail Austin

by Gail Austin -

now the front page showing the ticker configured with p tags, course list format is Tile

Attachment Front page with Ticker enabled and with p tags.png
In reply to Gail Austin

by Gail Austin -

First screenshot above is incorrect - this is the front page with front page ticker disabled, course list format Tile

Attachment Front page with Ticker disabled.png
In reply to Gail Austin

by Fernando Acedo -

We found a few cases with this issue that break the layout. So I think this is the reason.

But in your case looks that there is some other problem, probably an HTML tag, that break the code.

The courses tiles are not modified in the latest version so I don't suspect the problem is located there.

What can you see if open the Page Source? Using Firefox you display errors in red. Verify also the JS console. Tiles use JS and could have some problem when loafing.

by Gail Austin -

I opened front page in Firefox and it looks the same. I went into Developer, clicked Page Source, and none of it is displaying red. I've attached the page source. I have to go out for a couple hours but will try to figure out how to verify the JS console in Firefox when I get back. Are errors displayed in red when I do that?

Thanks for helping me out, this theme does things I absolutely need and I have got to get it working!

In reply to Gail Austin

by Fernando Acedo -

Could you enable the debugger and set to DEVELOPER mode?

by Gail Austin -

OK here are the results in Firefox, Developer, Debugger - several screen captures coming - here's the first 24 lines of code

Attachment debugger_first 24 rows.png
In reply to Gail Austin

by Gail Austin -

Here's rows 24 to 48

Attachment debugger_rows 24 to 48.png
In reply to Gail Austin

by Gail Austin -

here's 49 to 71

Attachment debugger_rows 49 to 71.png
In reply to Gail Austin

by Gail Austin -

Here's rows 72 to 95

Attachment debugger_rows 72 to 95.png
In reply to Gail Austin

by Gail Austin -

Here's 96 to 119

Attachment debugger_rows 96 to 119.png
In reply to Gail Austin

by Gail Austin -

Here's 120 to 143

Attachment debugger_rows 120 to 143.png
In reply to Gail Austin

by Gail Austin -

Here's the last rows

Attachment debugger_last rows.png
In reply to Gail Austin

by Gail Austin -

There ARE Javascript errors!!!  I've attached screenshot of the Browser Console error report from Firefox on the front page. Any advice you can provide on what to do would be fantastic!

Attachment verify_console_frontpage.png
In reply to Gail Austin

by Fernando Acedo -

It is unreadable. Could you post a better quality image?

by Gail Austin -

The interface is only letting me post a 100mg file max, and when crop and edit the error message down to 100mg it is fuzzy, so here is the text that's in that window:

In reply to Gail Austin

by Gail Austin -

From the error message text, it looked like the version of Adaptable might be incompatible with the version of Moodle - here's the Moodle version info;

Moodle version Help with Moodle version
Moodle release Help with Moodle release
3.1.1+ (Build: 20160901)

and the Adaptable version is
Adaptable
theme_adaptable

In reply to Gail Austin

by Fernando Acedo -

No, that's correct. Version 1.3 should be compatible with moodle 3.x

I'm sorry but it is impossible to read the text in the images.

Did you add some custom code (HTML or CSS) to the News ticker or the marketing blocks?

by Gail Austin -

i have not added any custom code - I haven't changed *anything* in the theme except for trying to display the courselist.

Did you see the text version of the Javascript error screen that I sent you above?

Here it is again - the error messages are very easy to read in the text file.

I'll see if there's any way to get a clearer image of the debug screens.

In reply to Gail Austin

by Gail Austin -

Hopefully these are clearer, heres debug rows 1 to 23

Attachment debug_row 1 to 23.png
In reply to Gail Austin

by Gail Austin -

rows 24 to 46

Attachment debug- 24 to 46.png
In reply to Gail Austin

by Gail Austin -

rows 47 to 70

Attachment debug_row 47 to 70.png
In reply to Gail Austin

by Gail Austin -

rows 71 to 94

Attachment debug_row 71 to 94.png
In reply to Gail Austin

by Gail Austin -

rows 95 to 121

Attachment debug_row 95 to121.png
In reply to Gail Austin

by Gail Austin -

rows 122-148

Attachment debug_row 122 to 148.png
In reply to Gail Austin

by Gail Austin -

and the last rows - when I download this set of screenshots from this forum thread, they are very clear.

VERY MUCH appreciate your help!!

Attachment debug_last rows.png
In reply to Gail Austin

by Just H -

Hi Gail, all the screen shots in this thread must have been a pain in the proverbial for you. Not sure what you are using to take them but have a look at installing Awesome Screenshot in your browser. Not sure what browser you prefer so this Google search will point you in the right direction.

(There are other options available, just a personal preference.)

In reply to Just H

by Gail Austin -

THANKS I will check out Awesome Screenshot, I do a lot of customer service for the online learning sites I administer and Paint/Win Picture Mgr are less than idealsmile

In reply to Gail Austin

by Fernando Acedo -

You posted the JS code that do not display any error. In fact, the JS code has not been changed from long time ago so should be correct.

We suspect the issue is related with custom code added to the site. Review all the HTML/CSS code you added to the ticker, the slider and the marketing blocks.

If you can't find any issue then I would need to review the site. You can send me by PM the credentials and I will take a look asap.

by Gail Austin -

THANKS SO MUCH for hanging in with me on this! Apologies though, aren't the messages highlighted below Javascript error messages? This is the "verify javascript console" text. Can you tell me what might have caused these messages? 

Neither I nor the guys who set up this Moodle instance for me have added any custom code anywhere on this site- I was just starting the site setup. All I've done is upload three courses and install the theme with no customization at this point, just trying to see the courses that are on the site in the theme before taking any further steps. 

I have limited access to the site code itself - just the data and the themes folder. Would you need access to the whole site or just some folders? I will request whatever you need.

THANKS again for all your help!!

TypeError: this.handleMouseLeave is not a function[Learn More]  breadcrumbs.js:486:7

1482249694330 addons.update-checker WARN Update manifest for webcompat@mozilla.org did not contain an updates property

1482249694352 addons.update-checker WARN Update manifest for e10srollout@mozilla.org did not contain an updates property

1482249694372 addons.update-checker WARN Update manifest for firefox@getpocket.com did not contain an updates property

1482249694396 addons.update-checker WARN Update manifest for aushelper@mozilla.org did not contain an updates property

1482249694417 addons.update-checker WARN Update manifest for {972ce4c6-7e08-4474-a285-3208198ce6fd} did not contain an updates property

1482249813990 addons.xpi WARN Add-on firefox-hotfix@mozilla.org is not compatible with application version.

1482249933300 addons.xpi WARN Add-on firefox-hotfix@mozilla.org is not compatible with application version.

When cancelling a request for https://mat-elearning.medhomeplus.org/sandbox/theme/image.php/adaptable/theme/1482204420/favicon because the inner window was destroyed or a new favicon was loaded for it, it was already canceled!  PlacesUIUtils.jsm:109

This site appears to use a scroll-linked positioning effect. This may not work well with asynchronous panning; see https://developer.mozilla.org/docs/Mozilla/Performance/ScrollLinkedEffects for further details and to join the discussion on related tools and features!  data:<!DOCTYPE%20html><html%20dir='ltr'>%20%20<head>%20%20%20%20<style>%20%20%20%20%20%20html,%20bod

Key event not available on some keyboard layouts: key=“e” modifiers=“accel alt”  debugger.xul

Key event not available on some keyboard layouts: key=“v” modifiers=“accel alt”  debugger.xul

Key event not available on some keyboard layouts: key=“f” modifiers=“accel alt”  debugger.xul

In reply to Gail Austin

by Fernando Acedo -

These errors are related to your firefox browser, not the site you are browsing.

I can open your site and the console do not display errors. Could you enable the debugger and set to DEVELOPER mode to see if can display some error?

by Fortarrigo Piccolomini -

Hi Fernando. Thanks for Adaptable theme!

I have the same issue.

Courses tiles are not displayed at all but only for guests. Logged users, infact, can see the Course section.

But if I choose Moodle default, guests can see the Courses section...

I disabled both Ticker and Slideshow.

Console doesn't show any error at all.

Frontpage settings (for not logged users) are configured properly.

I'm using 2016121501 version of the theme.

I need to have a frontpage as in Adaptable demo for not logged user.

Thanks in advance for your help.

In reply to Fortarrigo Piccolomini

by Randy Thornton -
Picture of Documentation writers

Just adding that I have the same issue, 3.1.4 build on a site, with the very latest Adaptable (installed yesterday in fact.)

I have the ticker turned off and have never set it, and I have Marketing blocks on which only have <h3> and <p> tags, no other tags. Sliders off.

All the courses in this site have course descriptions and summary images, but nothing is coming over in the regular Tiles or Coventry tiles.

In reply to Randy Thornton

by kaba soumaoro -

Hi Randy Thornton,

I'm having the same issue like you when upgrade to Adaptable 1.3 theme on moodle 3.1.

All my front page stickers, my front page slider , my marketings blocks and my front page courses aren't displaying any more.

If you have fixed your issue, could you explain how did you manage to fo fix it?

Or if any one can help with that?

Regards,

kaba

In reply to kaba soumaoro

by Randy Thornton -
This is still broken for me. I have switched Frontpage courses to use Moodle default, which is working. Tiles, Tiles w/ overly, and Coventry all show empty boxes with nothing for the course description or summary file i mage.

by Fernando Acedo -

Still can be replicated. We need more info.

Apart of hundred updated sites to latest version we set up and upgrade many sites and never got this issue.

by Randy Thornton -

Fernando,

I have isolated this to:

If the default Moodle Front page Logged in setting is set to List of courses, then the Adaptable > Frontpage Courses = Tiles, then it works fine.

If the Moodle front page is set to Combo list or List of categories, then that will interfere with the Tiles and neither the course descriptions nor course summary files will show up. 

So, in the screenshots below, all I did was change the Moodle Frontpage from List of courses to Combo list and it affects the Adaptable theme tiles (right side view). 

I would expect it would just ignore that setting altogether and the Adaptable setting for Tiles should have priority and work properly irrespective of the Moodle setting.

Attachment screenshot_1980.jpg

by Fernando Acedo -

Adaptable is not compatible with display courses by categories. This was already commented several times.

In a future version is possible we develop this feature.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Randy Thornton -

Fernando,

I suggest you add a notice or warning on the settings page for the Frontpage Course Boxes that they need to set the site Frontpage course setting to List of courses, and that it is not compatible with the categories options.

That will help prevent the confusion.

Thanks Randy

by Suzana de Andrade Ferreira -

I have the same problem:

If I choose List of course at frontpage settings, OK, all courses are listed, blocks and footer too.

But if I choose "Enrolled courses" at frontpage setting, none course, blocks or footer is there...

At debugging (development mode) it shows:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function render_mycourses() in /home/essaeadn/public_html/moodle/theme/adaptable/renderers.php on line 2848

Can it be fixed?

Attachment 2017-05-22_1826.png