Teaching with Moodle

Individual Wiki or Project Wiki or Online Journal Plugin, or something better than these?

Picture of maggie buckner
Individual Wiki or Project Wiki or Online Journal Plugin, or something better than these?

Hello, 

Can anyone please advise whether there is a way to fulfills all of the following functions for small groups:

1. Class will be divided into small groups. Each group has one facilitator. First, students work individually. They write their reflections on four sections of a topic cumulatively -- So they write their reflection on section 1 in week 1; then section 2 in week 2; so on and so forth. Preferably group members cannot see each other's work, even within the small group. 
  2. The small group facilitator can review his or her group members in this small group at the end of week 4. However facilitators should not be able to see other group's work. 

I first thought of using Individual Wiki, but then I don't know how to grant the facilitator access to review only his or her group's reflection. 

Project Wiki seems doable, in terms having the facilitator review the group members' work. But then the rest of the group can see each other's work as well. 

Our moodle is hosted commercially and we currently don't have the online journal plugin installed. So I have no way to test whether the journal plugin could fulfill the requirement above. 

Or, if you have any other suggestion, please let me know. 

Thanks in advance. 

Average of ratings: -
Picture of AL Rachels
Re: Individual Wiki or Project Wiki or Online Journal Plugin, or something better than these?
Group Core developersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Plugin developersGroup Testers

Hi Maggie,

There are a number of Moodle activities that can be used to do what you want. You could use a regular assignment set up for online text. You could use a database activity with a field for the text, and make sure you put the edit icon on the individual entry template.

Also, as you mention, you could use the Journal activity. To get the complete functionality you mention, you will need to create a new role based off the student role with the added capability to mange journal entries. Create your different groups. make sure each group includes the facilitator for that group. Set the Journal to use visible groups.

Send me an email if you would like access to an example journal set up for this. drachels at drachels dot com.

Average of ratings: -