Is it possible, and what is the best way to set up a combined total grade for several mini quizzes, with a min passing grade for all together?

Is it possible, and what is the best way to set up a combined total grade for several mini quizzes, with a min passing grade for all together?

by Zhivko Z -
Number of replies: 5

Moodle Version 3.1.2.

Hello,

I have to add 30 second timer to each Quiz question (Quiz activity), instead of having a total time of 12.5 min for a 25 question Quiz.  At the same time I need to have a combined total grade for all 25 questions together.

Can anyone please tell me:

1.       Is there any way to add a timer for each individual question in Quiz activity, or in another activity or plugin? I don’t see such option.

2.       If not, I’ll have to make 25 quizzes – 1 question each. In this case:

a.       What is the best way to setup a total grade for all of them together? I need to have one automatic total grade for all questions (or quizzes) together with a passing score of 80% or higher.

b.       How can notify the student after the last question that she/he has passed with a PASSING GRADE FOR ALL QUESTIONS TOGETHER?  For example, Last quiz/question - Question 25: Student gives an answer, then sees if this answer was right or wrong, then sees if she/he has passed all quiz questions TOGETHER with a combined passing grade…

c.        How can I automatically unlock the Certificate of Completion if the student has a combined total passing grade? I can put a restriction on Certificate of Achievement – passing grade on a quiz activity but how can I set it up a restriction - passing grade  for 25 quizzes together??

Thank you. I will highly appreciate if you can help me with this!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Zhivko Z

Re: Is it possible, and what is the best way to set up a combined total grade for several mini quizzes, with a min passing grade for all together?

by Mathew Gancarz -
Picture of Core developers

Hi Zhivko, I'm not aware of a way to set timers on an individual question in a quiz, but your grade related questions should be solveable by using a grade calculation.

See: https://docs.moodle.org/31/en/Grade_calculations#Setting_a_grade_calculation

You can create two grade calculations, ie: one that grabs the minimum grade, so if any of the quizzes are at 0 or below the passing mark it's set to that lowest mark. You can also do this with aggregation with lowest mark (https://docs.moodle.org/31/en/Grade_aggregation#Smallest_grade) , but set it to aggregate empty grades.

Then unlock the certificate based on that.

If you still need to show them an average grade, you can then have another grade calculation average them and multiply by that first one, so it will be 0 or the average depending on the value of the first grade item.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Mathew Gancarz

Re: Is it possible, and what is the best way to set up a combined total grade for several mini quizzes, with a min passing grade for all together?

by Zhivko Z -

Thank you Matt,

I'll have to play with it as I don't know anything about marks.

Are you familiar with the Active quiz plugin? According to the description it should allow a timer on each question but I don't know how everything else would work.

Best,

Zhivko

In reply to Zhivko Z

by Beatriz Rojo -

Hi Zhivko,

I haven't used Active quiz, but it is developed as a tool to offer in class quizzes - such as the quiz show Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?- not as an online quiz. I don't know if it works for your scenario.

Cheers,

Beatriz

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Zhivko Z

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Active quiz is for allowing live quizzes that are proctored by the teacher.  

If you just put all your quizzes in a single category, you can then make a calculation for the category total that ensures they pass each question or whatever you need it to do.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Emma Richardson

by Zhivko Z -

Thank you Beatriz and Emma!

Emma, would you please give me more specific guidance?

1. Should I do the marking as Matt suggests?

2. What aggregation should I use?

3. I need to enable them to proceed to the next question no matter if they answered correctly or not.

a. But they should be able to see if the answer was right or wrong

b. And to see the total score after the last question, which is 80% passing grade for all quizzes/questions together.

c. And then, if the total grade is under 80% - to see a message "Unfortunately you didn't pass because....". And not to be able to continue with printing their Certificate of Completion.

4. How about outcomes, do I need to use those?

How do I do all these??