Themes

Drop down menus not working on any theme (Boost, Clean, Aardvark)

Picture of Jaume Albaigès
Drop down menus not working on any theme (Boost, Clean, Aardvark)

Hello everybody and thank you for your kind help.

Before posting the following questions we've been doing some research through docs and forums with no results, so we feel right of asking what follows. smile

We just upgraded our platform from Moodle 2.6 to 3.2. We've been doing all the recommended steps and everything is been ok (wow! Thank you all, developers).

Question 1:

While upgrading from one version to the following we've been able to keep using our old theme, "Aardvark post-it" (by Mary Evans). Just until M 3.1. After upgrading to 3.2, this theme is no longer available in the theme selector and Moodle turns to default theme "Boost". Perhaps our old theme is no longer compatible with the newest Moodle version?

Question 2:

So, assuming we won't be able to use "Aardvark post-it" anymore, we are trying the standard themes "Boost" and "Clean", and also downloaded "Aardvark". They all look nice at first sight (thank you all again, developers), but there's one issue with all of them: our main menu (you know, the one you define at custommenuitems) has a three level structure: categories, subcategories and courses. So, we need that this menu has drown down capabilities. In all the tested themes first level menu elements show little arrows at their right side, saying there's something to display when you click there. Anyway, none of them works ok:

- Aardvark / Clean: nothing displays when clicking an arrow and user is redirected to the link associated with first level menu element.

- Boost: when clicking an arrow second level menu elements are properly displayed. But these items don't show anything pointing to the third level, so we can't reach the courses.

So, any idea on what's happening with drop down menus?

FYI, the tests have been done with Firefox and Chrome with same results. And no JS errors appear in browser developer tools. And, furthermore, in the source code there are all the expected elements (2nd and 3rd level).

Question 3:

First and second menu level elements (this is, categories and subcategories) used to be linked to its category page (ie, http://www.oursite.org/course/category.php?id=XX). We've noticed that in M 3.2 category.php file is no longer available, which sounds quite rare to us. In fact, we have loaded the file from a 3.1 package and everything seems to work as usual. Is this a M 3.2 package bug or is there a reason for not having this file anymore?

(Maybe this question should be posted separately, but as we noticed this while testing themes and menus... smile Will be happy to post it anywhere else if necessary.)

Thank you very much for your time and help.

Jaume

Average of ratings: -
It's only an avatar...
Re: Drop down menus not working on any theme (Boost, Clean, Aardvark)
Group Core developersGroup Documentation writersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Plugin developersGroup Testers

Hi,

1.  If Aardvark Post-IT worked in 3.1 then I do not see any problem with it in Moodle 3.2. Do you still have that theme?  If so that add the theme to your theme directory on your server and let me know how it is working. If there is a problem I can fix it.
    EDITED
    I just remembered you will need to download Base theme before it can work.
    https://moodle.org/plugins/theme_base

2. As for the dropdown menu not working in ANY theme, then this looks like it could be because of a plugin block or module that is conflicting with jQuery/JavaScript.Just check to see if you have any plugin blocks on the page as these can spark off problems.

EDITED
    I have just remembered, that Boost theme, which uses Bootstrap 4, only supports one level in the dropdown. Clean and Aardvark themes should work as normal.

3. Yes another forum as this is outside themes.

Hope that helps?

Mary

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

Hi Mary,

Thank you very much for your quick answer. Some comments:

1) Just downloaded and installed Base theme. Moodle detected it properly and upgraded the database as expected. If I look at Extensions list it appears amongst the rest of the themes. But it does not show amongst selectable themes. I can understand that Base is not actually a theme but a "platform" for other themes to work (as Base Bootstrap which is needed by Clean or Aardvark). So, once it is installed I should be able to use Aardvark Post-it, yes? But no, the theme does not show amongst selectable themes. I have tried to delete it and reinstall it. Everything seems to run properly: Moodle detects AP theme, installs it and also asks for theme parameters. But once this is done, theme can't be applied to the site because it does not show on the theme selector (but it appears on the theme list in the Site Admin tree!!!!). Any more ideas? I don't want to bother you with this, we might use another theme. What I loved of AP is that drop down used to work... smile

2) No special blocks, just site navigation, calendar and site admin. Any other ideas?

Thank you again. smile

Jaume

It's only an avatar...
Group Core developersGroup Documentation writersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Plugin developersGroup Testers

The Base them is a Parent theme for the Aardvark Post-it theme that I made.

If you downloaded the Aardvark theme that uses Bootstrapbase so does Clean theme and the More theme.

I'll take a look and see what is happening. Which version of Post-it are you using? If you let me know I can test it on my website.

Thanks

Mary

It's only an avatar...

Hi, I am getting a problem with my website...so I am testing now on my new site.

I will let you know as soon as I can what the problem is.

Mary

It's only an avatar...

Hi,

The version.php of Aardvark Postit is missing this line:

$plugin->dependencies = array( 'theme_base'  => 2016051900 );

Hopefully after adding that line, it will allow you to see the theme in the selector page.

Hope this helps?

Mary

Hi Mary,

Thank you very much for your kind efforts.

Just modified version.php file and reinstalled the theme. Moodle shows properly the dependency in the extensions page, but the theme does still not show on the selector theme page.

This is the content of version.php, just in case shows you something relevant:

$plugin->version   = 2012072100.01; // The current module version (Date: YYYYMMDDXX)
$plugin->requires  = 2012062501.02; // Requires this Moodle version
$plugin->component = 'theme_aardvark_postit'; // Full name of the plugin (used for diagnostics)
$plugin->maturity  = MATURITY_STABLE;
$plugin->release   = 'POSTIT-NOTE (Build: 20120721)';
$plugin->dependencies = array( 'theme_base'  => 2016051900 );

Thank you once again,

Jaume

It's only an avatar...

Have you cleared Theme Caches in top of Theme selecter page?

Yes, did it. No changes,

It's only an avatar...

OK...I'll have this theme fixed for you to download in appox: 24hrs or earlier if things go smoothly.

By the way while you are  waiting you must download theme_canvas as that too is a dependency theme.

Thanks

Mary

Hi Mary,

Thank you one more time. Just downloaded and installed canvas and then modified version.php in aardvark_postit to add this second dependency and that made it! I now can choose AP theme in the selector. Still more, the drop down menu works like a charm! smile

Will stay tuned to this thread just in case you write something more that could be relevant to this issue.

Still, I will continue my research in order to make drop down menus properly work in Aardvark and Clean themes.

Thank you one more time! Your kind contributions are really valuable to all of us.

Jaume

It's only an avatar...

Hi,

The version you have of that theme is an older one. I remade that Aardvark Posit to Aardvark Postitnote which I have made as a Moodle 3.2 theme.

You can see it working http://vle.bylazydaisy.co.uk/?theme=aardvark_postitnote

You can download it too from the Plugins directory.

https://moodle.org/plugins/pluginversions.php?plugin=theme_aardvark_postitnote

Glad it is working now for you. smile

I love that theme.  I forgot how simple it is and how easy it is for people to use.

Cheers

Mary

Wow, Mary, you are awesome!

Just downloaded the 3.2 version, installed it and then copied the options from the old Aardvark postit and everything is fine.

Please, take a rest. You deserve it. smile

Jaume

It's only an avatar...

Hi, Thank you!

I'm thinking of adding a File Picker for the logo and background images in the new year..

So if you need any other settings let me know.

Cheers

Mary