Boost theme problem - Fresh install - Moodle 3.2

Boost theme problem - Fresh install - Moodle 3.2

by Joseph FORET -
Number of replies: 12

Hello,

I've done a fresh install of Moodle 3.2 on debian 64. Everything goes fine. And finally I enter the site :

I've checked the network access and I have :

I've changed the theme to Clean and eveything was ok :

I've uninstalled the theme and deleted the Boost files and resinstalled them but still the same problem.

Any idea ?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Joseph FORET

Re: Boost theme problem - Fresh install - Moodle 3.2

by Dan Poltawski -

Hi Joseph,

I have a feeling that it could be this issue: MDL-57319

Can you have a look in Site administration > Server > PHP info and see what value max_execution_time is set to?

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Dan Poltawski

by Joseph FORET -

Well done! What a good feeling you have!

On my php.info : max_execution_time is set to 30

I put this value to 60 and it's ok. Compilation of the Boost theme has been done and I can see my page with the right style.

As mentionned in MDL-57319 my server is quite slow, that's why the compilation has not been done as fast as expected.

If I can help to test this point, it will be a pleasure.

Thanks a lot!

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Dan, to what value do you recommend max_execution_time be set?

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Dan Poltawski -

I think that 30 should be enough on most servers (I expect that's what most people are running at) so it's perhaps just slower/busy servers. We don't have many other long running tasks like this which don't increase the time out.

On my laptop I had to reduce the time to 5 seconds to reproduce the problem.

by Nicolas Martignoni -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

> so it's perhaps just slower/busy servers

Yes. On Raspberry Pi, 30 isn't enough e.g. Can't wait for MDL-57319 integration. As a workaround, I raised the duration to 300 in php.ini.

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

I think I still have mine set at 360 - but really that is a throw back to the day when backups used to cause timeouts all the time!  But on new servers, I tend to set it at 120.

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Rick Jerz -

Okay, I see that I have mine set for 300 (on my VPS).  I too think that this is from the old days, Emma.  But I am not sure that having a number like 360, 300, or 120 does too much harm, so I think for right now I will keep mine at 300.

But I do see that in my MAMP I have had this value at 30.  I too have been having problems with the CSS kicking in.  I am going to see if this problem goes away by changing this value to 300.  I am also (concurrently) upgrading my MAMP Moodle 3.2 to the latest version. Our discussion might be helpful.

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Dan Poltawski -

Out of interest, what php version are you running? Fred just mentioned on MDL-57319 that php 7 makes this significantly faster (so might explain why we didn't detect it as easily).

You shouldn't really need to raise the time limit (we have provisions in the code to raise the limit when doing 'long operations'), but i agree that this isn't really going to cause you much problem in practice (it mostly will stop problematic/buggy code causing bigger problems).

by Rick Jerz -

On my production (VPS) moodle, moodle reports (Server|Environment) that I am running php 5.6.24. Moodle 3.2 (Build: 20161205).  This install does not report any problem with cURL.

On my experimental (MAMP) moodle, moodle reports (Server|Environment) I am running php 5.6.10. Moodle 3.2 (Build: 20161205).  This install does report a problem with cURL.

I will provide you an abbreviated pdf for my VPS info.php.  In my next reply, I will provide you with an abbreviated pdf for my MAMP info.php.  Maybe you will see what is going on.

If you wish, I can update my php on my MAMP version.

In reply to Joseph FORET

by Andrey Mindubaev -

Is there a way to compile styles/javascripts in command line?

With this feature we could enable maintenance mode, purge caches, run some tasks, prepare theme caches, disable maintenance mode.

This feature will not solve problem (because css/js must be always compiled before user loads a page), but it could help in some cases.

In reply to Joseph FORET

by David Price -

Hi All

I'm having this on a 3.3 site, an upgrade from a 3.2 site.

max_execution_time = 360

php 7

Cleaned cache, manually deleted temp files etc.  It's host on Heartinternet.  Other themes are fine

Any ideas where I should be looking?

Thanks

David

moodle boost broken