Download all Submissions Fails (Timeout)

Re: Download all Submissions Fails (Timeout)

by Howard Miller -
Number of replies: 5
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

It's almost impossible that there's nothing in the logs. You're looking in the wrong place.

In reply to Howard Miller

by sara HHH -

Hi,

i saw every log file but actually didin't find .

i set my php.ini :   max_execution_time = 1330000

but unfortunatly again 504 Gateway Time-outThe server didn't respond in time.

Could you please help me.

Attachment timeout.jpg
In reply to sara HHH

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

In your screen shot it shows 6 pages of users.  Just how many users is that - exactly?
How large are the individual assignment submission files? ...  exactly .... not about ... exactly.

Have you looked into temp areas of your web server?   Seems to me, that entire process might take some time in DB queries to gather file name, sizes, etc. and then archive them all into one file.   That could be Gig's worth depending.   In moodledata/temp/ ... look for activity file ... in operating system temp which could be /tmp or /temp ...  look for activity/file?

504 is strictly a due to slow IP communications ... between your workstation and what could be the web server or in the case of load balancers ... other back end servers.   Could be DB server.   No telling with the information provided.

Is your workstation on the same segment of a private network as the Moodle server?  How many hops away is your workstation to the web server?   Traceroute?   What are you using for a workstation?   Windows?  Mac? Other?

It would help to know just how your Moodle server is setup ... is it Linux? Distro? is it on Amazon? or Google?  Got a dedicated DB server?   Can web server get consistent and accurate DNS responses?   If dedicated DB server are there any hickups in a constant ping from web server to DB server?   If Linux, have you run top at the same time a browser is making the request to download all submissions?   How about another networking app ... like iptraf on the web server?

So what have you tested/checked at the network layer?   There is no Moodle tool that will help.  Continuing to increase php settings and still failing is obviously not working so put those settings back down to something sane.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by sara HHH -

Hi dear Ken,

Many thanks.

i have 2 Apache servers (centos 7) and 2 Loadbalance servers (centos7) and one File server(centos 7).My Moodledate and www/moodle are  in fileserver.i am using maria db cluster.

Just how many users is that - exactly?They are 60 Users and i find that all submision   size is 1G.( i could download zip file  only  one Time with out  Timeout error ).

Many Thanks for your efforts

In reply to sara HHH

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

First ... this response not meant to be cruel nor impolite ... just matter of fact.

Ok, realize you seem to be pressed to solve the problem but .... please do NOT send to my true EMail information that could be shared here in public forums.  There are more eyes in these forums.

What I shared with you (questions asked) wasn't really intended for responses ... but suggestions in what areas to look - things that might be involved.  The info was gathered by Googling for the apache error you are seeing.   You can Google yourself and find the same info. 

Found several blogs/faqs/etc. that basically say that in trouble shooting that error there is no one place to look.   And in your case, 2 web servers, load balanced FS with DB servers in clusters, is way beyond what the majority of users here in these forums have/run.

Only those that have a similar setup could possibly help/suggest.

So will back out of this discussion and hope that someone with similar setup/experience in such systems will help.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by sara HHH -
Hi ken,
I am sorry for any misunderstanding. I am posting what I sent you in email may be someone help me.
My temp file in moodledate:
24K     ./latex
4,0K    ./phpexcel
92K     ./typo3temp
4,0K    ./files
4,0K    ./zip
2,1M    ./backup
16K     ./core_plugin
4,0K    ./core_files
2,2M  
And in my Loadbalancer the set up for haproxy.cfg  is:

contimeout 5000
    clitimeout 50000
    srvtimeout 50000

any advice and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.