Allow Admin to only add accounts to courses

Allow Admin to only add accounts to courses

by Nancy K Hoke -
Number of replies: 2

Greetings - We are in 3.1 and I am attempting to create a role that can only add accounts to any course on our site. I started with the Manager role and I have it working to see the courses and the users - but the role cannot access the course and add a user. The role keeps receiving the message that they cannot enroll themselves in the course. Can anyone help - without seeing the list of all the permissions?  The most important limit is that the person in this role not have access to grades. 

I did not start with any pre-configured role. I have tried to access the permissions for Administrator - but I cannot find it. If I can get to that and turn-off specific abilities that would be excellent.   

Thank you for any assistance you can provide Nancy K. 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Nancy K Hoke

Re: Allow Admin to only add accounts to courses

by Melanie Scott -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Last question first:  Administrator isn't a role, per se (it's a way of life).  It is assigned in a different way and you can't copy it.  You either are or you aren't.  It is assigned in Site Administration->Users->Permissions-> Site administrators (rather than assign system roles).

First question:  It is all about permissions.  I'm still on 2.8, so the permissions may vary slightly (they haven't changed a lot since about 2.3 as far as I can tell, but they could have changed a little.  There are a lot of permissions.  Sometimes you have to experiment a bit (I like to keep two browsers open...one logged in as Admin to mess with the role and one logged in as the role I'm fiddling with).  Some permissions only work when another is allowed...or when a role is at a particular level (I want my trainers to be able to move their courses...but that is a permission which only works at the site level, which means either they can move any course or they can't move any course...I can't change where they can move them...scary!).

• You probably want to remove permission to view others' grades, view course reports, overview reports (okay, all Grades reports), view course logs, view activity reports, view activity completion reports, allowing grading in any activity (there are a bunch), allowing deleting of attempts of any type in any activity. 
  • You probably want to allow permission to configure enrollment instances (maybe), view participants (you have to see them to add them in the course), assign roles to users.

There may be more...Maybe take a look at non-editing teacher...it might be closer to what you're looking for.

In reply to Melanie Scott

Re: Allow Admin to only add accounts to courses

by Nancy K Hoke -

Thank you - I think I have "allowed" all of the instances that use user, user account, and courses. When the account with the new role logs in - the user can see the users and the courses - but in clicking into a course the message states that the account cannot enroll themselves into the course. Still very confused. Thank you again for your help. I did not want to create a long list of the permissions that I have set to Allow - but I may need to do that. 

Sincerely, Nancy K.