Unable to add new users to site

Unable to add new users to site

by Ken Puls -
Number of replies: 5

We are beginning our early registration for the spring and, when attempting to add new user account under Site Admin, I received an error message I've never seen before:

Exception - Call to a member function getAttribute() on null

The documentation says it is a "general error" but doesn't offer any fix. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Our site, the Founders Study Center, is running Moodle 2.6.1. We've been using Moodle as our platform since 2014.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ken Puls

Re: Unable to add new users to site

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Do it again, this time with Debugging up full (Developer) and display errors ticked. Hopefully, you will get a more comprehensive error message. 

In reply to Ken Puls

by Jeff Robbins -

Same error came up for me this morning.  Were you able to solve your problem?

In reply to Jeff Robbins

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

What did you find when you enabled Debugging and checked your logs? wink

In reply to Howard Miller

by Jeff Robbins -

Didn't get that far in investigation.  I was running PHP7 with Moodle 2.9.

I just finished upgrading moodle to the latest 3.2 and it is now working fine.

Thanks for checking in!

In reply to Jeff Robbins

by Ken Puls -

We also upgraded Moodle to 3.2 and the site is now working. We had recently upgraded our main site and started running PHP 7.0. Apparently Moodle 2.6 did not work with the new PHP version. When we upgraded to Moodle 3.2 all the functions worked again. It's a lesson learned to stay current with the platform. Thanks for following up.