How can I simulate didactical Codecademy functionality in Moodle?

How can I simulate didactical Codecademy functionality in Moodle?

by Rolf Cper -
Number of replies: 6

Hello,

Is it possible in Moodle Quiz functionality to simulate the technical workings of www.codecademy.com ?
In a Codecademy lesson, you can learn a computer-programming language by means of step-by-step hands-on exercises.
Your typed-in programming lines are checked immediately if they are right or wrong, and a hint follows.
I believe that this functionality is difficult to implement in Moodle, but I would like to know if there is any Moodle module or plug-in that can mimic such a sophisticated educational instrument?

Friendly regards,
Rolf Snijders
Moodle 3.0

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Rolf Cper

Re: How can I simulate didactical Codecademy functionality in Moodle?

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Rolf. I am moving your question to the Quiz forum because you are talking about the Quiz activity. I don't know anything about programming but I do have an idea there is a plugin for students doing programming where they can do code type questions - perhaps Tim or someone more knowledgeable will come along and enlighten us.

In reply to Rolf Cper

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Acutually, something very like this is available in Moodle: http://coderunner.org.nz/

(We are just starting to use this at the OU. It seems to work quite well.)

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Well Tim, "available in Moodle", is a little bit like 

“But the coderunner plugin is available for Moodle …”

“Available? I eventually had to go down to the cellar to find it.”

“That’s the display department.”

“With a flashlight.”

“Ah, well, the lights had probably gone.”

“So had the stairs.”

“But look, you found the notice, didn’t you?”

“Yes,” said Arthur, “yes I did. It was available in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying ‘Beware of the Leopard.”

But seriously, I had found that plugin previously and thought it looked very interesting indeed, but I had sort of forgotten about it until you just posted. Here is an interesting quote from the documentation.

CodeRunner currently supports Python2 (considered obsolescent), Python3, C, Java, PHP5, JavaScript (NodeJS)

Knowing that the OU is interested in it makes it even more interesting. NZ seems to punch wildly above it's weight in creating interesting FLOSS software.

(ps I know its not a leopard in the picture but it is a big cat and it is creative commons licensed)

Attachment lion-head-240x233.png
In reply to Marcus Green

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Marcus, the correct quote is "with a tourch". I did not realise they had translated HHGTTG into American, and I found reading the wrong version very jarring.

(Sorry, this is off-topic, and as moderator I should set a better example. To bring it back to education, the scene starting at 19:15 in

is an interesting take on the future of educational technology, as seen from the 1970s.)

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Imagine what more he might have written if he had lived longer. The original radio version is the most awesome and I remember being very, very impressed with it when I first heard it. I think a little off topic every now and then should be a moderator privilege smile