Roles in Moodle: The mentor, the courseviewer and the question pool coordinator

Roles in Moodle: The mentor, the courseviewer and the question pool coordinator

by Richard van Iwaarden -
Number of replies: 1
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Dear people,

Recently we developed a strong need for custom created roles in Moodle. We've had a few, but they do not seem to work like they should.

Role 1: The Mentor

• This role needs to be able to view the grades in the courses
  • This role should not be able to give grades
  • This role should not receive mail when students turn in an assignment
  • This role should not have the courses in the 'my courses list' where the 'the Mentor' role is set

Role 2: The course viewer

• This role must be able to see all the resources and activities
  • This role should not be able to see grades and not be able to turn in assignments or make tests
  • This role should not have the courses in the 'my courses list' where the 'Course Viewer' role is set

Role 3: the question pool coordinator

Small Introduction: The major shortcoming of Moodle is that learning is too much course-based. Roles, grades, questions, etc. are often limited to a course.

• This role must be able to manage questions at a higher level than a course, preferably by category
  • This role should not receive mail from students who turn in assigments
  • This role should not have the courses in the 'my courses list' where the 'Question pool coordinator' role is set

Moodle has a number of default roles that you can copy and then customize the rights for these roles.

However, a check mark for receiving mail when students turn in an assignment and a check mark for appearance of the course in the 'my courses list' do not seem to exist.

The roles 'guest' and "administrator" for example will not see the course turn up in the 'my courses list'. The role 'Administrator' does not receive mails from students who submit work. I would like to know how to set these specific rights.

Who can help me with this? It's quite a challenge

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Richard van Iwaarden

Re: Roles in Moodle: The mentor, the courseviewer and the question pool coordinator

by Richard van Iwaarden -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

If my question is to complicated, It can be made more easy:

What right triggers the fact that a user receives a notification when a student submits an assignment?