Enable the student to see the name of the group

Enable the student to see the name of the group

by T W -
Number of replies: 5

Hi,

How to enable the student to see the name of the group he is assigned to in course

Thanks,

Average of ratings: -
In reply to T W

Re: Enable the student to see the name of the group

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I first thought, "how is that a problem?" and then realised I couldn't think how to do it either!

It probably is visible somewhere, however, if you only have a small number of groups you could make a label for each one ("You are in Group XYZ") adding a restriction making it only visible to that group.

Hopefully, somebody will have a better idea!

In reply to Howard Miller

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

If they are in a course and click their own name in the Participants list, they can see which group they are in. 

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by T W -

The ability to view accessory of students to groups is set by accessallgroup permissions and available only to teachers\managers.

It's problematic to give this ability to students. 

Is there any other way to solve the problem?

In reply to T W

by John Provasnik -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

In moodle 2.6, our students could see their assigned groups when they went to their own profile. We ended up turning this off through a permission. I haven't checked how to turn it back on ever since but see if they already can see their group name in their profile. (Note, I think it was the group name they saw, not a grouping name).  

In reply to John Provasnik

by Paula Clough -

I checked my 3.1 courses. Students can see groups they are assigned to at the bottom of the first column of their profile page when they access it from inside the course by going to Navigation>Current course>course name>Participants and clicking on their name in the list. This should be the only name on this list as per their student permissions.  This profile also shows their roles in the course.

Hope that helps  cool

Average of ratings: Useful (1)