Allowing students to add to glossary entries in other languages

Allowing students to add to glossary entries in other languages

by Ken Lomax -
Number of replies: 2
I am teaching a computer course in New Zealand and we are using moodle as a part of the course.
Our main language and the language of instruction is English. However, many of my students have English as a second language. They are mainly Chinese, Taiwan and Indian. We also use New Zealand's second official language, Maori.
Is it possible for my students to add the translation of the glossary terms to the glossary in their own native languages, so that as well as the English name, we also build up a list of translated names in the same glossary.
I do not know these other languages myself, and would need to rely on the group of students to self-moderate these additions to the entries.
Once the translated name are added, a second step would be to add definitions in these other languages.
As I am teaching a computer course and not an English course, the use of the English language is of secondary importance to my students learning the concepts of my topics.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Ken Lomax
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ken Lomax

Re: Allowing students to add to glossary entries in other languages

by Lorenzo Dalvit -
HI Ken

I am a PhD student in Education in South Africa. I working ont he translation of OpenICDL into isiXhosa, one of the official African languages.

I am also using multilingual IT glossaries. As a starting point, I have fed into my glossary the localisations of various open-source applications (OpenOffice, Firefox, Gnome etc) into a glossary. I am not sure if there is anything ont he Web in Maori, but there should be!

If you want to take a look around and eventually find some application that has been localised ("translated") into Maori, let me know and I can explain to you exactly what I have done.

I know this does not address your posting directly, but I found it very itnereesting and I wanted to get in touch... smile

Lorenzo
In reply to Lorenzo Dalvit

Re: Allowing students to add to glossary entries in other languages

by Teresa Gibbison -
Moodle has been translated into Maori (Ref: http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=14374 - 211834).  Although the language pack says "Ngai Tahu" it is actually "Tainui".

Attached is our Tainui Maori glossary if that is helpful.

Teresa
OSCINZ/OSLOR Project