Simple, "click-through" design in Moodle

Simple, "click-through" design in Moodle

by Sally Bourque -
Number of replies: 7

Hi,

Apologies if this forum already exists somewhere; I spent some time searching but I may have missed it.! : - )

We are currently using a very basic,  Lambda Liquid theme (with a customized banner) on our Moodle 3.0 site. (soon to be 3.1)

I'd like to be able to offer instructors at our institution the opportunity to design their course with less clutter, and a more intuitive, click-through design.  I have administrator access on our Moodle, and I've spent time looking at the course display settings, reducing the number of blocks and leveraging certain activities, but it's still not as smooth looking as we would like.

I can achieve a sort of "click-through" design by using the book activity for each module, but the problem is I can only link one activity at the end of the book because as soon as the activity is completed, you are automatically brought back to the main course page, rather than back INTO the book page. (hence, I think having activities linking within the book would ultimately be more confusing)

I'm wondering if there is a theme or plugin that can easily achieve a cleaner "click-through" framework like this? (similar to some EdX courses which it gives you a really clear menu on the left, and tabs you progress through on the top with "back" and "next" options...so you kind of feel like you are turning the pages in a book.)

In a nutshell, here are some of the features we would like:

• Click-through design for each module (like turning the pages of a book) with ability to have some activities within the book (like quizzes, forums, etc)
  • Larger fonts, and different font choices for different courses
  • Easier way to return to the course home-page

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

: - )

Thanks,

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Sally Bourque

Re: Simple, "click-through" design in Moodle

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Sally,

This is nothing to do with themes, but more to do with the way you have set up your Activity Completion.

I'm not that familiar with these settings so I'll move this into the forum where you can get advice for other teachers, course leaders and such who have more experience of these things than I do.

Regards

Mary

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Click through design could possibly be achieved with the grid format - where each section displays (and can have activities on it) and you can then click left/right to go forward/back. I think though that the activities still return you to the course page rather than back to the section you were on (although I seem to remember Chris Kenniburg may have had something like that in Pioneer theme, possibly - may have the wrong theme). You might also want to have a look at the sub-page plugin - gives a Page like option but allows activities to be added to the sub-page. Also the Lesson activity may be another option to investigate. All of this could be combined with Mary's Activity Completion suggestion.

Larger fonts/font choices may need a separate theme for each course, although it is possible to target the course-id within the css (it's part of the body class), so it is certainly achievable. It depends how many changes you want to make and how many courses you are trying to individualise. That said, the theme you are using is a commercial one, so you would probably need to speak to the developers/sellers for support in any changes to the theme or making a child of it.

Easier way to return to the homepage - certainly in grid format you can do that by simply closing the lightbox popup.

Hope that helps

Richard

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Richard Oelmann

by Sally Bourque -

Thanks Richard, those are great suggestions!

I will investigate!

: - )

In reply to Richard Oelmann

by Sally Bourque -

Hi Richard,

I wanted to let you know that while searching for resources on the grid format, I came upon this video:

I found it  really helpful for what we are trying to achieve with look and feel.

I'm investigating possible new themes now.

Thanks for the suggestions! Helped a lot. : - )

by Paula Clough -

Sally,

You might want to also check out the topics format with show one topic per page.  It begins with a list of all the topics but once you get into one of them, it shows the one you are working on and has links at the bottom to go back or forward one topic.

cool

Attachment one_topic_per_page.png