Security and privacy

"view courses without participation" - not wanted / and changed?

Picture of Klaas Hobo
"view courses without participation" - not wanted / and changed?

I have migrated a Moodle 2.6 installation some time back to Moodle 3.1.2 and now all users can see ALL courses whether or not they are enrolled in the courses. I am absolutely sure this has been different is the past and then the users could only see the courses they where enrolled in (M 2.6?). I have no settings changed that I am aware off.

Now after searching for a solution I have found the right "view courses without permission" and can see that a particular user does not have this right when checking system rights for this user. But the user can see all courses on the system....???

How to get users only see the courses they are enrolled in?

Klaas

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Klaas Hobo
Re: "view courses without participation" - not wanted / and changed?

Nobody any ideas on where to start with this?

Mary Cooch
Documentation writersMoodle Course Creator Certificate holdersMoodle HQParticularly helpful MoodlersTestersTranslators

You mean they can actually go inside every course ( access the contents?) Have you checked Site administration/Users/ Permissions/Assign system roles?

Picture of Klaas Hobo

Hi Mary,

Thank you for your help!

No users cannot go in courses they are not assigned to but they see them all. That is a big problem for my client who is a commercial company.  

So users should not see the list of courses they are not signed up for. Only the courses the áre signed in. 

Mary Cooch
Documentation writersMoodle Course Creator Certificate holdersMoodle HQParticularly helpful MoodlersTestersTranslators

Hello. Nothing has changed; it has always been the case that users can see the list of courses on a site even though they might not be able to actually go into the courses. (In many Moodle sites, you only have to type in yourmoodlesite.com/course/index.php as an outsider to view the course names.) There are various ways to make it harder for users not to see all the courses -you can choose not to show them on the front page of the site, and you can redirect the users once they are logged in to their Dashboard page where they will only see their enrolled courses. But standard Moodle doesn't have a way of completely hiding from view courses users are not enrolled in. You can do a search in these forums for other suggestions.

Picture of Klaas Hobo

Hi Mary,

Thank you for your information. Yes I'm aware of the fact that if you know Moodle more then average that you can find this in the system. But for most users in a commercial environment it's a new experience to work with Moodle and they really don't know these things of course wink. The trick was more difficult though because it makes a difference if the users is enrolled in two or three courses or more aparently. My users most of the time only enroll in one or two.

I found my answer on this link : https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=328348