Moodle interpreting multi-sco package as single object

Re: Moodle interpreting multi-sco package as single object

by Dan Marsden -
Number of replies: 4
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Interesting to hear D2L have done it that way (I haven't seen this in other SCORM players myself) - in Moodle a SCORM package is a stand-alone object and the reports within the SCORM package show the information returned about the package but we only push a single grade for that package to the gradebook. To do this differently would require a significant amount of development and I'm not sure that it would be worth the effort.

The easiest way to achieve a similar outcome in Moodle would be to separate it out into multiple SCORM packages and then improve the behaviour of SCORM when a user exits a package to allow them to automatically open the next SCORM package or return to the course homepage. I'd do this by adding a setting to allow the teacher to decide what happens when the user exits a scorm package for example -  return to course homepage/dashboard/another activity in the course. This could also help to resolve MDL-44905

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Dan Marsden

by Cath Stuart -

Dan

Thanks very much for this reply. I agree improving navigation between packages would be excellent for this kind of scenario.

A further question - is we packaged the learning resources as Common Cartridge rather than SCORM, would the result be the same? Does Moodle treat SCORM and Common Cartridge differently with regards to access and grading of activities e.g. one package = one gradable object?

Best wishes,

Cath

In reply to Cath Stuart

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

"common cartridge" is quite different to SCORM - unless you're referring to IMS CP (content packaging) - IMS CP in Moodle doesn't provide any grading - If you really mean IMS CC it will depend very much on the authoring tool how it is imported into Moodle.

In reply to Dan Marsden

by Kenneth Flowers -

"I'd do this by adding a setting to allow the teacher to decide what happens when the user exits a scorm package for example -  return to course homepage/dashboard/another activity in the course."

I would love to know how to do this in Moodle to automatically open another SCORM 1.2 package when one closes. Can you point me in the direction of steps on how to do that?

Thanks in advance!

In reply to Kenneth Flowers

by Dan Marsden -

Step 1 - Find a Developer.
Step 2 - Pay them lots of money to develop the feature.
Step 3 - Give us a copy of the patch and we can look at integrating it into the core code.

smile

Average of ratings: Useful (1)