General help

Automatic emails upon course completion

Picture of Claudine Caro
Automatic emails upon course completion

We use Moodle in a corporate setting. I would like to know if there is a setting for Moodle to send an email upon course completion to the student and another designee such as a manager?

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Aaron Harris
Re: Automatic emails upon course completion

Hi Claudine

This plugin may be of use to you.  It sends out emails to users and their managers when a user starts, starts but doesn't finish, or does finish a course.  

https://moodle.org/plugins/mod_reengagement 

Hope this helps 

Aaron

Randy Thornton
Documentation writersParticularly helpful Moodlers

I don't see anywhere in this module that it knows about course completions. It knows about other activity completions, so you can select one, but not course completion. Course completion are calculated quite differently from activity ones. Would be nice if this mod were extended to do that, as there's no other easy way to do that now.

Picture of Aaron Harris

Hi Randy

Best I could suggest for this is, if applicable, assign the module to send an email on completion of the last activity, and unlock activities in order of completion.  I've used this plugin to send recommendations on completion of single activities.

This might be worth bringing up with the team who develop the module through GitHub 

https://github.com/catalyst/moodle-mod_reengagement 

Randy Thornton
Documentation writersParticularly helpful Moodlers

That's a partial workaround, but only if you are just using activity completions as the course completion, and no other criteria, which is very limiting.

Ideally course completion notification should be a standard messaging output type. Since course completions is not yet pluggable the way availability restrictions are, that would one obvious place to put it.

Picture of Travis Mitchell

"assign the module to send an email on completion of the last activity"

I have tried unsuccessfully to set up the Re-Engagement plugin you recommended here to send me an email when a user completes a SCORM package. 

My SCORM package contains quizzes, demo videos, and (most importantly) exercises for our students to complete. I review these exercises (they are activities on a separate website) and prior to migrating to Moodle we only worried about reviewing these exercises after all of the SCORM packages of the course had been completed. In Moodle we added the exercises as Assignment activities that outline the exercise steps and provide me the opportunity to give students immediate feedback about their exercises, but because the Assignment activities are just a reflection of the in-package exercises and they are completed on a separate site, there is nothing for the students to submit so I don't have a good hook or trigger to notify me that an Assignment/Exercise needs to be reviewed.

Just to make it that much more difficult, I don't want the students sent a message. I just need a notification that they finished the SCORM package so I can go in and grade the assignments.

How have you set that up in the past? Is there anything I can provide to assist?

Moodle version: Moodle 3.3.1 (Build: 20170710)
host: AWS Windows Server
db: SQL Server