Creating resources that times student completion.

Creating resources that times student completion.

by Matthew Byrom -
Number of replies: 3

I've been approached by a couple of Tutors about this.

They've been asked to prove how many hours students spend on independent activities.

eg: A Tutor has set the task of asking students to read a current news article & develop a tweet (as close to the limit as possible) expressing their views on that particular article.

The Tutor estimates it should take a student about 1/2 hr for this task to be completed to a decent standard.

Is there a way we could package this activity into a resource that can actually be timed in Moodle? They want to produce a mean average for auditing after completion of task.

Failing that, does anyone know of a piece of software that might be able to package up an activity into something that will track the time it takes for a student to complete a task?

I'm hoping to avoid anything flash-based as ideally it needs to be something quite easy to package for teaching staff.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Matthew Byrom

Re: Creating resources that times student completion.

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

You could perhaps take a look at the Lesson activity which has a completion condition  based on minimum time spent. Here's an old video of this feature:

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Matthew Byrom -

Thanks Mary! I'll take a look & see if we can make it do what our Tutors are after. 

Much obliged. smile

In reply to Matthew Byrom

by Andy Chaplin -

This is way above my competence level, but I would imagine this is possible with the Configurable Reports plugin.  In principle you's need to get the timestamp from the log where the user viewed the activity and the timestamp where the user submitted the activity. Then create an average or median or standard deviation of all the instances.  Obviously this would only work if it was set up to be done in one sitting.

Another option, depending on the content, would be to set up an exotic quiz (making use of descriptions to embed presented material, and check questions to monitor progress). If that was possible, quiz automatically generates the time spent completing the quiz.  If the content is linear and doesn't require branching, then this works quite well.  I've done this a few times where classes are taken in a computer room at school - it's particularly handy when covering for sick colleagues!

Hope this helps,

Andy