General developer forum

Remind.com Moodle integration

Picture of g k
Remind.com Moodle integration

I use the Remind.com app to send announcements directly to students' phones.  If you are unfamiliar, check out how it works at Remind.com.  Currently, I am embedding a Remind.com widget using the html block so that the announcements display on my Moodle site in addition to being displayed on the students' phones.  Is there a way to integrate this app into Moodle so that it displays the announcements in the calendar?  I  think a Moodle integration would allow for better styling of the widget.  Currently, there is no way to control the way the widget displays as it is presented from the Remind.com website.

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Howard Miller
Re: Remind.com Moodle integration
Group Core developersGroup Documentation writersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Plugin developers

I hadn't heard of remind.com and I'm too lazy to read the web site but a quick glance/search didn't turn up anything for developer resources.

This implies that all the development may well be closed. I imagine you have searched for a Moodle integration and couldn't find anything? I think you would have to appeal to remind.com to release an open API that would then allow a Moodle integration to be developed. Then you (or someone) would need to sponsor such a thing.

Also, "integration" is one of those words that says a lot and says nothing. What, exactly, would you need it to do?

Picture of g k

Exact details are in my thread.....

Picture of Howard Miller
Group Core developersGroup Documentation writersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Plugin developers

If you mean, "I already told you" then that's not really where I was going. 

You would need to define exactly how all this would work in Moodle terms. Without knowing anything about remind.com it's hard to be specific, but I imagine you'd want it to upload class lists from Moodle and such like. You'd need to specify what sort of Moodle plugin it was and where it appeared in Moodle's user interface etc. etc.

Anyway, it's probably hypothetical as it stands. sad

Picture of Justin Hunt
Group Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Plugin developers

It sounds like a good fit for a messaging plugin, but as Howard points out, there is no public API or pretty much any documentation. I couldn't even see where you got the widget from.

Picture of Olumuyiwa Taiwo
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

+1 re being a good fit for an inbound messaging plugin. You'll of course have to get Remind to send to an email address corresponding to your Moodle's email address. You'll then need to create a handler appropriate to your needs - i.e. parse the incoming message and put the relevant entry in the calendar.

Moodle's Inbound Messaging API is at https://docs.moodle.org/dev/Inbound_message_API

Since this is not a standard Moodle feature, you might want to post your question in the General Developer Forum (https://moodle.org/mod/forum/view.php?f=33) to get some ideas as to how you might develop a suitable plugin.

Picture of Helen Foster
Group Core developersGroup Documentation writersGroup Moodle HQGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Plugin developersGroup TestersGroup Translators

To save g k from having to re-post, I'm just moving this discussion thread to the general developer forum...

Picture of g k

Thanks!  I am pretty clueless as to how to develop this plugin.  The widget is generated by Remind.com in the account settings for the users. From there, its just cut and paste into an html block.  I did find an "api page" for Remind. Not sure how useful it is though. https://api.remind.com/

Picture of S Moodle
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

I use the Remind.com app to send announcements directly to students' phones.  If you are unfamiliar, check out how it works at Remind.com.  Currently, I am embedding a Remind.com widget using the html block so that the announcements display on my Moodle site in addition to being displayed on the students' phones.  Is there a way to integrate this app into Moodle so that it displays the announcements in the calendar?  I  think a Moodle integration would allow for better styling of the widget.  Currently, there is no way to control the way the widget displays as it is presented from the Remind.com website.

I was thinking of creating an account with the remind email.  When I post on the announcements, remind would forward the email as a text to their phones.