Will this work?

Will this work?

by Susan Jeffers -
Number of replies: 4

I'm hoping to use 3 wikis in an upcoming course -- any advice on how to set them up and get them to work the way I want?

The course is structured by weeks, and I plan to put all 3 in the top block, where they'll be in use for the whole semester.  It's a history course, and I plan to have these 3 wikis:
(1) Timeline
(2) Glossary
(3) Annotated bibliography

I want everyone in the class (including the instructor) to participate in building the wikis, and make use of the shared knowledge we'll be building up.  As a person comes across a name or date in the assigned reading, I'd like them to add it to the timeline. As they come across a new word, I'd like them to add it to the glossary. As they come across a worthwhile reference, I'd like them to add it to the bibliography, and comment on it briefly.  Especially for the glossary, I'd like students to feel free to post a word even if they DON'T know what it means, perhaps with a brief reference as to where they found it; then someone else can draft a definition later.

For the timeline, I'm thinking of a table format with columns for different categories of events and people such as technology, warfare, etc.

Does this seem doable?  Any advice on how to set these up?  How difficult will it be for me to figure out who's contributing what and how much?  I've learned through painful experience that it helps a lot if any given request on my part is accompanied by points awarded -- does wiki participation show up in the individual student logs the way posts to a discussion forum do? That would make it easy...

Thanks in advance for your help! 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Susan Jeffers

Re: Will this work?

by Ludo (Marc Alier) -
Hi Susan,
I think that this  project is very doable.
I don't know if is best to use an only wiki or to use a wiki for each part. Remember that wikipedia is a BIG lonely wiki. To have 3 wikis can confuse the students.
I don't want to be boring with dfwiki, b ut in this case is quite relevant: dfwiki has a glossary block that automatically indexes you the page names ( and synonimous) a la glossary. We also have implemented a block that lists the orphaned pages.
I don't know ewiki logs, but the integration betwen dfwiki and moodle logs is fully detailed, and logs both the editions  and the readings.
Right now I'm posting the new version that allows you to IMPORT old wikis in dfwiki, please give us a try guiño.
Regards
Marc

In reply to Ludo (Marc Alier)

by Susan Jeffers -

Thanks!!

I'm pretty much up for trying anything, but I'm just a lowly adjunct instructor, not even located in the same state as my server and tech people who take care of our moodle implementation. All I know in the way of options is what I get in the pull-down menus when I click on "Add a resource..." or "Add an activity..."  How would I get to where dfwiki would appear, so I could try it?

Thanks!!!

by Ger Tielemans -
Would be nice to have a kind of timeline overview in a wiki, working with students in wiki's this was often asked..
Is it not possible to build a filter option that can handle something like:
@bc2012:Death of a King@ and
@ac2005:OU chooses Moodle@ 
and then create a block with a vertical timeline and the titles?

by Ludo (Marc Alier) -
Hi Susan,
to get dfwiki working in your server you must contacte your server admin and
tell him to download the dfwiki zip file from our home page http://appserv.lsi.upc.es/palangana/moodle/course/view.php?id=15 and then copy the files into the moodle instllation directory, then the admin user must log into moodle and ... tachan !!! dfwiki is now a available activity.
Regards
Marc
ps. let me kwnow how is it going...