Task attempt not in progress (3)

Task attempt not in progress (3)

by juan cta -
Number of replies: 4

Hello all. 

I have recently started using taskchain with my students. Everything is working fine and it is a very interesting software. It is really customizable. Thank you, Gordon.

I have nevertheless been having some problems with a mistake which I don't understand: Some students, for no apparent reason, get this message when they finish an attempt: "Task attempt not in progress (3)". Then they have to do the same activity again. Any help would be very welcome.

Regards

Average of ratings: -
In reply to juan cta

Re: Task attempt not in progress (3)

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

This often happens when students use the back button.

Could that be happening in this situation?

In reply to Gordon Bateson

by juan cta -

Thank you, Gordon. Definitely that might be the case. I will let them know

Regards

In reply to Gordon Bateson

by Jeff Finnan -

Hey Gordon,

In what situation do you mean by the back button? 

Long time no post for me, eh?

Since I no longer teach AP Chemistry but now fully focus on the Modeling approach in teaching chemistry, I have less need for HotPots and TaskChains. That being said, I am putting together a bunch as review for a trimester final exam. I had just been thinking about what I think of as the dreaded "Task attempt not in progress (3)."  Then I saw this posting.

In the past I have given all sorts of warning about not multitasking on their computers. However, while doing some TaskChains in class, I was pretty sure that students were following all the strictures.  Then on a very rare occasion this would occur. I have always thought there was something else to this.

Thanks,

Jeff

In reply to Jeff Finnan

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

> In what situation do you mean by the back button?

I mean the student was doing a TaskChain task, finished the task, hit the back button on the browser, and then redid the task and finished the task again. At the point, they will be told that that the attempt has already finished.

Another situation that this message can appear is when a student starts a task attempt in one browser window, then starts another attempt at the same task in another window. When they start the attempt in the second window, the server marks the attempt in the first window as abandoned, but the student only discovers this when they try to submit results from the first window. The results for the second window should be received without a problem.

There may be other cases. If you can isolate the conditions, I would be glad to hear them.

Regards,
Gordon