Basic book formatting

Basic book formatting

by Margaret Richards -
Number of replies: 2

I just restored a course developed in Moodle 3.0 to 3.1. It went very well except for a weird book formatting problem. 

All of the text & html & links transferred fine (it's a very small book, 5 chapters of 1 page each, almost all text). I checked and the HTML for each page is identical but on my old version, I had bullets and in the new version, the bullets aren't visible, even though the code is there. 

I tried deleting sections and re-doing the bullets (also tried adding indents) but to no avail. Such a stupid problem but it makes the activity difficult to follow! Book settings in the site & course admin are the same.

Attachment book_bullets2.JPG
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Margaret Richards

Re: Basic book formatting

by Eoin Campbell -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

I believe your problem is not directly caused by upgrading from 3.0 to 3.1. It is more likely that there is a change to the theme that you were using on 3.0. It may not have been migrated over properly. You might need Administrator access to fix it. Something similar happened to me.

We have installed the Essential theme, and defined some book customisations on the Essential Theme General page (Site administration > Appearance > Themes > Essential > General) in the Custom CSS section at the bottom. These customisations may not have been copied over when you moved from 3.0 to 3.1. Alternatively, new customisations may be breaking your book appearance.

If you don't have Administrator access, you can still fix your problem by adding some CSS directly into your book pages, although it is a pain, and I don't recommend it. Something like the following might work (copied from http://stackoverflow.com/questions/11737266/what-is-default-list-styling-css):

<style type="text/css">
div.book_content ul { 
list-style-type: disc; list-style-position: inside; } div.book_content ol { list-style-type: decimal; list-style-position: inside; } div.book_content ul ul, div.book_content ol ul { list-style-type: circle; list-style-position: inside; margin-left: 15px; } div.book_content ol ol, div.book_content ul ol { list-style-type: lower-latin; list-style-position: inside; margin-left: 15px; }
</style>

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Eoin Campbell

Re: Basic book formatting

by Margaret Richards -

Than you Eoin. I'm now realizing that I'm missing bullets all over the place so it must be a theme issue but I can't find a single post with someone else describing the same problem. I'll keep looking.