breadcrumbs stopped working after update to 3.1

breadcrumbs stopped working after update to 3.1

by Luke O'Neill-Roe -
Number of replies: 21

I'm hoping someone here can point me in the right direction.

Recently I upgraded to 3.1.2 (from a 3.0 version I think - I know that doesn't bode well for the rest of this!).

Everything seems to have gone fine, but a teacher has recently pointed out that the breadcrumbs have stopped working for her courses.

Testing shows that in her courses, the breadcrumbs look like they should be working (correct colour for a link) but when you hover the mouse over the link nothing happens.

Oddly, another test course I set up before the upgrade - with practically nothing in it, on the same server, the breadcrumbs do work!

Not knowing quite what to do, I installed a brand new server, exported a problem course from my production moodle, imported into the new server - breadcrumbs are suddenly working fine!

Does anyone have any ideas for me to investigate before I accept I need to install a new server and transfer all the courses across?

Attachment Screenshot_110216_124613_PM.jpg
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Luke O'Neill-Roe

Re: breadcrumbs stopped working after update to 3.1

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Is that a custom theme? Have you tried her course with the standard Clean theme?

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Luke O'Neill-Roe -

You are quite right!

I've tried switching back to the default theme, and the behaviour stays the same.

by Luke O'Neill-Roe -

Are there any other ideas I should be investigating?

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

When you say 'the behaviour stays the same' do you mean that with the default theme Clean the breadcrumbs are not working either, as they are not working with the custom theme? I'm going to move this thread to the Themes forum to see if they have any ideas.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Luke O'Neill-Roe -

I'm very sorry to have been ambiguous.

Yes, the behaviour, where the breadcrumbs don't work, stays the same no matter which theme is selected. 

My suspicion is that it must not be related to the theme as a result of this. Particularly as the very same course, once it has been exported from the production server, and imported into a fresh build test server - the breadcrumbs start to work again.

by Fernando Acedo -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

As far I can see you are using Adaptable.

Adaptable had an issue with breadcrumbs that were solved in the latest version. Please update and verify the breadcrumb is working.

On the other hand, moodle has many issues with breadcrumbs when display several crumbs. This is a core issue and not solved for the moment. But this issue is only shown in a few situations, mainly settings pages.

Update Adaptable, test it and post the result.

And next time follow the forum rules and add the moodle and theme version for a faster help.

In reply to Fernando Acedo

by Luke O'Neill-Roe -

Thank you very much for your suggestion. 

I'm sorry to report I don't know the adaptable theme version. I downloaded it and updated yesterday. Does that help? Can you tell me how to establish the version of adaptable that I'm using?

I originally posted this in the "Installing and upgrading help" forum. I suspected this wasn't specific to a theme as when I change the theme to "Clean", the breadcrumbs still don't work in most of the courses (but not all!).

The moodle version is 3.1.2+ (Build: 20161020).

Thank you for any ideas you may have, apologies for not including everything in the first post.

by Fernando Acedo -

You can find the Adaptable version, or any other plugin version, in Site Administration > Plugins > Plugins Overview

Indicating the moodle and theme version helps us to provide a more faster and accurate answer.

Please, could you post a screenshot of Adaptable and Clean showing the same breadcrumb?

As I explained before, moodle has some issues displaying the breadcrumb but courses usually works well. Only a few pages, mainly related to settings, have some issues with links.

by Luke O'Neill-Roe -
Adaptable version 1.2.4.2 (thank you very much for the info on how to find this!)

Screen shot attached.

Arrows show text that is coloured as if a link, but doesn't work as a link

Attachment Screenshot_110316_120214_PM.jpg

by Luke O'Neill-Roe -

Now the Clean version.

I think I must be going crazy! I'm sure I've tested this course previously - but now, the links in the breadcrumb work!

Does this mean the issue is most likely to be with the adaptable theme then?

Attachment Screenshot_110316_120414_PM.jpg

by Fernando Acedo -

In the course context I think the breadcrumb doesn't fail. It is in another context with the breadcrumb fails doesn't matter the theme.

In this case, the breadcrumb is identical. You can't access "Unit 1" and "Problem Solving" items while the rest should be links.

Notice that the last item (the current page) moodle renders a link when it should not be a link because it is the same page you are.

by Luke O'Neill-Roe -

The breadcrumb is identical in both cases (I tried to stay consistently in one course),

However, although both look the same, where I have put little arrows - the links work in the "Clean" theme, but don't work in the "Adaptable" theme.

Does that suggest anything to you?

Many thanks for looking at this.

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

You could try purging all the cache in your Moodle site.

Site Administration > Development > Purge all cache

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Luke O'Neill-Roe -

Thank you for the idea.

I've done that, but unfortunately it hasn't made any different.

Any other ideas?

by Fernando Acedo -

If the purple crumbs are links (and they should be) then it works well.

Any other crumb in black colour are elements that moodle never render as a link. As I said before this is very common  but it is a core issue that we can't fix.

by Luke O'Neill-Roe -

Unfortunately - although they are purple, they are not links. That's the problem.

It seems I've encountered a new oddity!

by Fernando Acedo -

It is really weird. Is it possible to have access to the site to verify the code?

You can send me the URL by PM.

by Luke O'Neill-Roe -

Having a quick look in chrome developer view, it seems there is a div id="sitetitle" that is blocking the breadcrumb area!

Is there a way to reduce the height of this div, or remove it?

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Luke,

Which page were you on when you found that site-title id selector?

Was it the front page?  If so then the breadcrumb is not normally shown on that page. It IS blocked by Moodle core CSS in Bootstrapbase.

If it is on another page then it could be an issue.

Thanks

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Luke O'Neill-Roe -

Hi Mary

It was on a course page, and was on top of the breadcrumb! So the breadcrumb looked as if it contained links (and did contain links) but they were inaccessible behind the div!

Thanks to the helpful nature of the adaptable template, I was able to easily add some custom css that reduced the height of the div - and voila! The breadcrumb links are working again!

This may have been caused by the size of the logo I've used?

Anyway - I'm back in action. My thanks to all who helped.