Shared Portable Moodle (Spoodle) – offline Moodle for students without internet access

Shared Portable Moodle (Spoodle) – offline Moodle for students without internet access

by Stephen Grono -
Number of replies: 7

Had the opportunity to share something fun we’d been working on to help some of our more remote university students during MootAU last month, and I’m finally getting the time now to add this post up to the forum to get some feedback here as well, and to see if it’s useful to the Moodle community.

Spoodle is an up to date portable moodle / ‘moodle on a stick’ solution for learners to access Moodle courses without requiring constant internet access. It can run directly from a flash drive, and by using the current version(s) of Moodle, should be nice and compatible with all the usual current plugins & themes.

Why? With distance education becoming increasingly more interactive, adaptive and multimodal in its design, Moodle helps create a really rich space for learning when they’re online. However, for those without reliable internet – especially those in rural and remote communities, military personnel, or incarcerated learners – the old methods of printing or sending PDFs isn’t cutting it like it used to. Certainly not the majority of students, but Shared Portable Moodle, or Spoodle for short, is one approach we’ve developed to support these students to be able to continue their studies even when they’re without internet.

What? It’s a completely separate pre-installed local copy of Moodle. But we’ve tweaked a few small things to speed it up, and make it more portable (so for example on a USB drive, it can go from computer to computer without worrying about drive letters), or over a local network without worrying about reconfiguring for each new IP address, and easy to get into for students with a single exe to start all the services and launch the intro page. As we’ve been trialling, also included a couple of changes to stop Skype getting underfoot, quicker cleanup of temporary files that would otherwise take up double the space, and because our main use has been for currently enrolled students who won’t have constant access to internet, and it’s an exact copy of their ‘real’ course, disabled the permissions to post to forums or submit assignments so they don’t accidentally submit to the wrong space (which can easily be turned back on for other uses, but handy in this one).

The idea would be to have a blank copy, without any courses, set up with your theme and important plugins. Then as it’s needed, can do a backup of the live course, download the .MBZ file, and import it locally. This will bring across 95% of what they’ll need in one swing. Then for anything held external to Moodle (our lecture recordings and ereadings), these can be manually saved and added to a clearly labelled folder at the top of the (local) course. So it IS still a point in time copy, there’s no syncing or updating, but it has been very useful in getting the essential materials in their original structure, with all of Moodle’s activities and features, and for saving bandwidth costs/time on larger videos.

Credit where it’s due as well, Spoodle is similar to a few other ideas out there over the years. Like Poodle / Jolongo / other Offline Moodle projects, its all free and aiming to help get the LMS out to students without internet, and portable, but have tried to make sure this version is as easy as possible to keep up with current Moodle versions and features. Like the bundled packages on Moodle.org, its running on a recent version of XAMPP and has a one-click ‘click to start’ exe that will start the required processes, and here we’ve been able to run with a similar idea, making sure XAMPP is forced into portable mode to let it move between computers easier, and is pre-installed with course content ready to run. And like the Moodle Mobile app, is aiming to help students access materials while offline. The free app is really fantastic, especially in later versions now that I’ve had a chance to look into it, and unlike Spoodle DOES support a lot of syncing and offline posting that can send when back online, while the advantage here is the full desktop experience, including customised plugins/theming/etc and avoiding bandwidth completely on larger files.

Where? I figure in the Moodle spirit, now that we’ve had a successful run with a handful of students, the next step is to share it all with the community and see if its helpful for anyone else, or what feedback comes of it. So I finally found a use for my MoodleCloud site – up on http://steve.moodlecloud.com I’ve put up a guest access course with:

• Ready to go, pre-installed copies for Moodle 2.7 through to 3.1 (just add your own banners/themes and go. Password in the setup instructions. Thinking is the extra versions will help make sure its as close to your live environment / plugins are compatible / etc)
  • A full list of all the settings and php changes made, to build your own/see the differences/make it easier to offer suggestions on other small changes that could help portability or speed. (have tried to keep these changes fairly minimal, so its easy to upgrade and switch around)

So that’s it from me. Open to thoughts and feedback & hope its useful in some way.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Stephen Grono

Re: Shared Portable Moodle (Spoodle) – offline Moodle for students without internet access

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Great to see this Stephen! - thanks for sharing your work!

I'm hoping to release the Moodle plugins we use to allow our offline player to download courses from the "mothership" site and to sync back completion data at some point - could be something you might be interested in adding to your packages.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Dan Marsden

Re: Shared Portable Moodle (Spoodle) – offline Moodle for students without internet access

by Andrew Barrett -

Hi Dan,

Could you say more about how your syncing works? We're running some local moodle instances and currently doing manual syncing of database tables with the "mothership". I'd be very keen to learn more about what others are doing.

Many thanks

Andrew

PS. Thanks for sharing Steve, very interesting and will definitely give it a try over December break.

In reply to Andrew Barrett

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

The offline/local Moodle install gets a copy of the Moodle course backup (we exclude user-data in our backups for privacy reasons) When the user completes the course they hit a button to "sync" and it backs up the local courses selected, pulls out some specific xml files from the course backups, zips those up and ships them to the mothership. We parse those xml files on the mothership and restore the user-data to the relevant courses.

I'm hoping we'll release all the code in the next couple of months. 

In reply to Dan Marsden

by Stephen Grono -

Thanks Dan, looking forward to when this one is available! Loving the syncing idea but was way over my head, and can already picture one project in particular we have that may really benefit from the SCORM bits of your offline player. Appreciate it and will be keeping an eye out.

by Dan Marsden -

Don't forget the Moodle Mobile app provides offline support for SCORM - works really well for when you need short-term offline capabilities - also potentially a bit more reliable way to load SCORM packages on a mobile device rather than relying on a fragile internet connection on your phone.

In reply to Andrew Barrett

by Stephen Grono -

Thanks Andrew. Drop me an email when you get around to giving it a try.

Little bit more on Dan's offline player here as well, sounds very nice - https://www.catalyst-au.net/blog/introducing-moodle-and-totara-lms-line-player

by Andrew Barrett -

Hi Stephen, 

So we're REALLY keen to try this out. Will spoodle work with 3.2?

Thanks

Andrew