How to give all users a 0 in the Grade Book

How to give all users a 0 in the Grade Book

by Chris Webb -
Number of replies: 1

Hi all,

Is it possible to change the default Grade book entry from a - to 0 even if there is no quiz or any other graded component to the course.

No I am not actually trying to teach any class a lesson and give them all zero. My problem is that I have a number of courses that do not have any graded component such as quiz. To complete the course users just have to view the presentation. I have this set up in the Course Completion settings so I have no problem there.

My problem is that I want to run a report (using an outside reporting tool)  that will show the course completion status of all courses some of which have grades and some which don't. If I don't display grades in the report and I just display course completion status then I have no problem and I see all the courses. But if I want a grade column in the report that will show a grade when there is one available any courses without a graded component disappear from the report.

So I thought for those courses if I could efficiently somehow add a mark of 0 or Null (anything really) to all users then there would be a grade item entry in the database and it would appear in the report. I realise that I could directly add a mark of 1 or zero to the grade report but this is not really practical. Ideally I would like to do this automatically for all users.

Thanks in advance for any advice or help.

Chris

In reply to Chris Webb

Re: How to give all users a 0 in the Grade Book

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

So, if your gradebook is set up to exclude empty grades, then if there are no grades entered, there will be a null grade.  Does that not work for your scenario?

Also, you can select in your course settings to not show the gradebook to the students which would take care of that part.