PDF assignment version different than student Word submission

PDF assignment version different than student Word submission

by Bill Kopf -
Number of replies: 2

We are currently running Moodle 3.1.2 (Build: 20160912). In our assignments professors open “View All Submissions” and are directed to a page where all students and their Word documents appear for grading. Clicking on the button to “Grade” takes the prof to a PDF version of the attached Word document. (Screen shot #1) In several instances, but not all instances, the PDF document shows the complete paper. (Screen Shot #2). When the document which is under the submission is opened it does not match the PDf version in the assignment grading window in that it is an incomplete version of the paper shown in the PDf portion of the window.

I understand the point is to grade in the PDF window, but sometime the prof wants to view the paper, or download to grade when the computer is not available, etc. We have experimented by opening the papers in a Mac environment or using Google docs and the incomplete version cannot be duplicated.

Our campus is using Word 2016. When the paper in question is printed the last page seems to have a formatting issue because the missing words at the end of the paper appear as single letters running down the left side of the printed Word document in this fashion:

T

H

I

S

W

O

R

D

If professors do need to print or view the paper outside the PDF grader option, this becomes problematic. Has anyone experienced this? Is this only a Word issue and not related to Moodle or the assignment tool? Might this Word issue be something that will affect other areas where Word docs are uploaded by students?

Any thoughts or solutions would be greatly appreciated.

See attached Word document with screen shots.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Bill Kopf

Re: PDF assignment version different than student Word submission

by Sue Moss -

I have a similar problem with it not displaying as it should. In my case images that are in tables are moving during the PDF annotation process making them impossible to mark.  When you open the actual Word file it is displayed as it should be.   Any solutions or ideas would be gratefully received. 

In reply to Sue Moss

Re: PDF assignment version different than student Word submission

by John Provasnik -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Is the Word Document a .DOC or a .DOCX?

I could be wrong, but I believe DOC format has issues with items in tables rendering correctly when saved in PDF format. I think saving it as a DOCX first then PDF format second could help. or instead of saving as PDF try "Printing" to PDF (if you have a MAC). I