Force new users to complete certain profile fields

Force new users to complete certain profile fields

by Dom F -
Number of replies: 5

So again, I have looked at the help files and again found them lacking.

There are no answers here.... http://bfy.tw/8T02

I need to FORCE users to give active specific answers to specific fields when they slef register - but again I cannot find where to do this anywhere. i can ONLY find how to ADD NEW CUSTOM user fields and how to make THOSE mandatory or not,

Thanks for ny help - Im amazed the docs just arent giving the answers - or at least veru hard to hunt them down...

(Edited by Mary Cooch - original submission Sunday, 30 October 2016, 12:43 PM)

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Dom F

Re: Force new users to complete certain profile fields

by Andy Chaplin -

Hi Dom,

I'm pretty sure there is a way to do what you want by changing the flags somewhere in the code.

There may be a workaround by using the following plugin:

https://moodle.org/plugins/enrol_profilefield

This controls enrollment by checking against values in profile fields.  It doesn't quite do what you asked but it might be sufficient. You would just need an info box which informed users which profile fields needed to be filled out.  This might even be more flexible as it works at a course level rather than creating the same condition for the whole site.  That way users would only have to fill fields in as required, rather than forcing them to fill in everything by registration. I haven't tested it on the latest Moodle, but although it's quite old, it worked fine on a 2.9 site.  It might be worth a test.

Hope this helps,

Andy

In reply to Andy Chaplin

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

You asked about this tracker issue Dom MDL-46946 and whether it would be fixed for your version of Moodle.

Each version of Moodle has a certain time after which all bugs are fixed and a certain time after which only security issues are fixed. (By all bugs, I mean any bugs, security or not, if HQ or other developers have the time or money to fix them. I didn't mean every single bug reported.)

So... here is the link to the exact section in the documentation for your version, 2.7 where you can see that for 2.7 general bugs stopped being fixed in May 2015.

So the bug in the report I am referring to has indeed been fixed, but for Moodle 3.0 and Moodle 3.1

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Dom F -

I see- So sadly, my version of moodle is orphaned already...

D

In reply to Dom F

by Dom F -

Can I confirm I have reached a dead end folks? And that I cant make Moodle's registration fields compulsory? Wow... bit shocked to be honest... surprise

In reply to Dom F

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I'm not aware of anything to do this. 

It wouldn't be incredibly difficult to code a custom 'signup' plugin to do this. You'd need to find / bribe / pay a developer to do this of course.