Post-install questions and Installation guides confusion

Re: Post-install questions and Installation guides confusion

by Ken Task -
Number of replies: 0
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Understood.   Sometimes, using fake names, IP adresses , etc. are necessary.  But suggest, next time, mention that up front.   I'll make sure the next time, I also warn that things like PUBLICADDRESS are explained.   Would xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx have been better if I had said that the 'x's' are the IP address numbers?

Now about the location of moodledata ... that's outside of apache root.   While that could be done that way, is there a reason to do so?   Is there going to be an 'lsd' user whose home directory is /home/lsd/?

If so, advise not.   moodledata will contain filedir which is Moodles new file system and according to the readme.txt file found in that directory after installation, it warns NOT to mess with anything in there.  If one does, better know what one is doing.

So ... still suggest moving moodledata to apache root and setting ownerships/permissions on it and all it's contents to www-data:www-data.

Yep,  before installing suggest getting whomever is going to use it, to setup a true fully qualified domain name for the server.   It will make installation and first usage/development of courses, etc. sooooo much easier when the site is finally opened to student/teacher use.   Other open sourced packages/apps don't have the FQDN requirement that Moodle does ... Moodle doesn't use 'relative addressing' as a Joomla, WordPress, or a Drupal, etc. does.   Actually, that requirement, does make Moodle a little more secure.

'spirit of sharing', Ken