Essential theme css settings broken

Essential theme css settings broken

by T K -
Number of replies: 27
Im using moodle 2.8 with essential and some customised themes. I had just added a new category with new category icon settings at custom CSS portion of essential theme, and suddenly ALL my custom settings is gone, the color, the icons, everything. This even affected my other custom themes using clean theme.

What if wrong? I surely did not add/remove anything other than the category icon settings.

Please help urgently.

Thanks

Average of ratings: -
In reply to T K

Re: Essential theme css settings broken

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi,

This sounds like something is wrong with your Moodle site and nothing to do with the Essential theme.

If it is just the CSS that has stopped working then you can still get to Site Administration > Appearance > Themes > Theme selector page and change theme to Clean theme.

Try that and then let me know how you get on?

Thanks

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by T K -
i did change the theme, it loads with NO css settings as earlier. I even reboot the server twice. This is crazy
In reply to Mary Evans

by T K -
i did change the theme, it loads with NO css settings as earlier. I even reboot the server twice. This is crazy

i have the moodle directory backup from june, and latest backups of the sql files, how can i restore? just upload the backup sql? do i need the whole directory backup as well?

In reply to T K

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Sorry, but I have no idea as I have never been in that situation.

If Clean theme is not working then, no matter what backup file you have this is not going to solve the problem.

What you need to do is stop panicing and doing random changes that may be causing more problems than fixing them.

What you need to do is assume the Database is OK and try setting Site Administration > Development > Debugging to DEVELOPER setting instead. That way you will get some feedback that may point you to the cause of the failure. Once set you need to get back to your site's front page and you should get some warning telling you where the problem is.

If you get a FATAL ERROR then something has broken somewhere. So please remember to copy those ERROR messages either copy and paste to Notebook or write theme down on paper.

Whatever information that come up on the screen I need to know.

Thanks

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by T K -

JUst to give you an idea, below is the screen, you can see even the little icons at side bar menu is not showing:

Menubar

Also just to share, I am using Basic VM, 1 core & 1.75G RAM. Is this sufficient to be accessed by  users? For my own admin access, I am experiencing significant slowness over the site.

In reply to T K

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

"it loads with NO css settings" - just to clarify: you are talking about your own css settings? as that screenshot definitely shows that some css is being applied to your content, although clearly the icons are not displaying and, from what you have said, your custom css is not being applied, rather than 'no css' (although it doesn't look like default Essential either)?

Please can you check that you have the correct version of Essential installed for your version of Moodle (2.8), which should be

Essential - 2.8.1.10 (Build: 2015061903) (2015061904)

NOTE: This is not the latest version of Essential as Gareth is currently supporting Essential on Moodle2.9+. The latest upload in the plugins database for Moodle2.8 is from September 2015 - without the basic information requested in the forum guidleines, Gareth is unlikely to be able to assist anyway.
Moodle version - 2.8
Theme - Essential
Theme version - ?????

Alternatively, check what you added to the customcss setting, as it sounds like something you added in there is responsible for your breakage.
"I had just added a new category with new category icon settings at custom CSS portion of essential theme"

Richard

In reply to Richard Oelmann

by T K -

Hi Richard,

Thanks for your reply. Sorry if my descripting was not clear earlier.

Yes only the custom css are affected.

Our essential version is 2.5.

Attached it the custom css. I removed the changes and reverted to original once this problem happened.

I really hope someone can help me with this.

In reply to T K

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

OK, then first piece of advice would be to install the relevant version of Essential for your version of Moodle

As you have Moodle2.8, then you should be using the version of Essential in my post above.

https://moodle.org/plugins/pluginversions.php?plugin=theme_essential

In reply to Richard Oelmann

by T K -
DO i need to backup my existing essential? How about my current css settings?

How about my other themes, their custom css is also affected

In reply to T K

by Mary Evans -

I missed this...

What you need to do is probably Purge all caches

Site Administration > Development > Purge all caches

In reply to Mary Evans

by T K -

purging cache din work

In reply to Mary Evans

by T K -

I just tried the debugging option, and no i see no error at all.

EDIT: I just upgraded the machine, rebooted. This time seems like oNLY essential theme is having the broken css settings. Others we customised are ok. I wonder how can i fix this?

In reply to T K

by Mary Evans -

Hi, 

In that case first make Clean theme the default theme and then remove the Essential theme from your Moodle site. Reboot and check to see all is well. 

Next goto Site Administration > Plugins > Install plugins

Here you can install the Essential theme for your version of Moodle. If there is anything wrong with your Moodle site then the theme will not be installed.

I think this would be the safest way to proceed.

Hope this helps?

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by T K -

DO i need to backup my existing essential? How about my current css settings?

How about my other themes, their custom css is also affected

In reply to T K

by Mary Evans -

Make a copy of it yes and save it somewhere safe.

Then remove the Essential theme folder from the server. This does not affect your settings, those are still on the server.

Then install a new version of Essential for your Moodle 2.8 site.

It is easy to do this from the Admin setting I gave you in my last comment.

Sorry I did not answer you earlier but I was away from my keyboard.

I hope this is helping you? Themes are pretty easy things to work with, so do not worry too much.

If things are still not look good...then it might be that something is conflicting with the theme or themes. Perhaps you have a new block or module that you added...some other plugin?  Or the Course format that you are using? So many thing can conflict...but usually these are local...and can be fixed by removing the plugin...or whatever.

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by T K -

does it mean the backup of the theme should be kept away from the server rite?

I am not working today, but i will try this first thing tomorrow morning.

In reply to Mary Evans

by T K -

On top of these problems, my moodle server is abnormally slow, I cant even navigate into the site administration options or a few minutes now. We are using VM with 1 core, 1.75Gig RAM, does it sound sufficient? My RAM is mostly on 90% usage.

In reply to T K

by T K -

For the sake of the plugin installation, i increase the size of my VM. I reinstalled essential, and voila, its back!! I also managed to set my custom css for the category icons.

A million thanks to Mary & Richard!

In reply to T K

by T K -

I still cant figure out why my theme crashed that way. Could it be possible due to insufficient RAM that during 2 different ppl working on the server caused me saving the settings crash the theme? No doubt, it is very weird, I hope it dont see this again.

In reply to T K

by T K -

while i solved the essential problem, my Clean theme is still behaving weird, no custom css applied. Where can i get fresh new plugin for Clean?

In reply to T K

by Mary Evans -

Clean theme is shipped with Moodle,  there is nothing in Clean theme that should have changed unless you decided to change it, which makes me suspicious that you are messing with files that you should not be messing with.

Thanks

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by T K -

heheh nothing illegal but yes, i treated clean as another customisable theme when I should be copying clean into creating new ones. Lesson learnt there. So anyone knows where can i get a 'clean' Clean theme?

In reply to T K

by Mary Evans -

You do not need a NEW copy of Clean theme. There is probably nothing wrong with the one you have.

Just explain what is this weird thing that is happening to your site...why do you think it is the Clean theme that is causing the problem?

https://github.com/moodle/moodle/tree/MOODLE_28_STABLE/theme/clean

In reply to Mary Evans

by T K -

No i am not pin pointing its Clean theme causing it.

My moodle page is using essential theme. Some of the categories are using clean & customised clean theme.

SO on the day i was making changes to my custom css on essential, the essential css settings crached, and all the other themes css settings crashed as well.

In reply to Mary Evans

by T K -

how do i copy this clean folder from the github?

In reply to Mary Evans

by T K -

Maybe I am not explaining it clear enough, After solving my essential custom css issue, the other theme, that is clean & Modified clean is still not having any css formating. Whatever css settings we try to apply in is not working  on the 2 themes. I cant figure out how to solve this.

In reply to T K

by Mary Evans -

It's clear enough...to get a copy of Clean you need to download Moodle 2.8 again...however I am not sure if that version is available now as it is no longer being updated.

However, I suspect that the problem is that there is a problem with your CSS if you added some CSS to your Clean theme? Similar problems to this older post of yours!

https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=330819

Mary