Multi-Embed filter

Multi-Embed filter

by Frederic Nevers -
Number of replies: 14

I have recently submitted a plugin for approval in the Moodle plugins database. This thread can be used to discuss the plugin. If you wish to preview the plugin, please visit https://github.com/frederic-nevers/moodle-filter_multiembed

The Multi-Embed filter is used to facilitate embedding of third-party content (e.g Prezi, Haiku Deck, etc.). The idea is simple: a teacher copies/pastes a link to an external service (e.g. Prezi) and the filter turns the link into embedded content, automatically. It follows a similar idea to the oEmbed filter. 

I constantly add services to the plugin, please feel free to submit ideas for new services here too. 

Cheers, 

Fred

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Frederic Nevers

Re: Multi-Embed filter

by Majid Hussain -

Hi Fred,

This plugin looks very useful. I've installed it on my localhost but it seems that I need to add a link into the Atto editor rather than paste the URL as plain text?

In your screenshot, it looks like you have added the URL as plain text...

Please can you advise.

Kind regards,

Majid.

In reply to Majid Hussain

by Frederic Nevers -

Hi Majid,

Glad you find the plugin useful. Please make sure you have the 'Convert URLs into links and images' filter enabled and placed above the multi-embed filter. Doing that will allow you to just copy/paste a URL into the Atto editor without the need to create a link.

I'll update the documentation as soon as I get a chance.

Cheers,

Fred

by Joseph Liaw -

Hi Fred:

Looks pretty awesome....anyway your filter could embed a "live" Google Doc?

That would be a cool way for teachers to distribute "live" documents that a class could collaborate on, or perhaps collect an assignment that they could comment, annotate, and students could revise with the assignment module.....

Thanks for sharing this with the community!

In reply to Joseph Liaw

by Frederic Nevers -

Hi Joseph, 

Thanks for the feedback and idea. Currently this filter cannot do what you describe, as I have not found a way to 'guess' what the embed code of a Google Doc (or other G Suite type) will be. This is an important part of the puzzle for my school, so we are looking at alternatives way of dealing with the very problem that you mentioned. Will share with the community if we come up with something. 

Cheers, 

Fred

by Joseph Liaw -

Thanks Fred!

What's tricky is how Google Drive has to set the permissions...there might be an API Google has that might work with a filter....if I figure something out I will also share....

Thanks!

--Joe

In reply to Joseph Liaw

by Justin Hunt -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

I might have missed something. Can't we just wrap the link code that Google Docs produces into an iframe.

The steps are:

i) user goes to doc and from the file menu chooses "publish to web"

ii) follows prompts till they can copy the "link" that google provides

iii) paste that into Moodle. 

iv) filter wraps link in an iframe and returns it.

I did try this with Generico and it worked ok(and replied Joseph post there too). So I think it will work ok with multi-embed too.

In reply to Justin Hunt

by Frederic Nevers -

Hi Justin, 

What you described does work, however I decided against adding G Suite support to the multi-embed filter. The reason behind it is that most teachers I have worked with usually forget to publish their documents, paste the document URL into Moodle and end up thinking that the filter does not work. 

I have not yet come up with a nice and easy solution to embed Google docs into Moodle (a la Google Classroom) but that is something that I am looking into this academic year. It's one of the most popular requests at the school.

I am quite happy to add G Suite support in a future version of the plugin and switch it off on my own site, if that would help others. 

Keep the ideas coming!

Cheers, 

Fred

In reply to Joseph Liaw

by Frederic Nevers -

Hi Joseph,

I found a bit of time this weekend to update my plugin and add GSuite support. It doesn't do anything fancy (sharing and such), other than embed Docs, Drawings, Forms, Sheets and Slides really easily. I hope you find it of use. 

It's available in the plugins database now. Please let me know if there are any issues, I was only able to do limited testing. 

Cheers, 

Fred

by Joseph Liaw -

Thanks Frederic!

I think your update will be really handy for teachers and students, especially with how quickly schools have adopted Google's tools for education--it will make your plugin even more useful and easy for people to embed Google docs, forms, sheets, etc.

Cheers,

-Joe

by Dave Laurie -

Hi Frederic,

This looks very useful - do you have a list anywhere of the services that are currently embeddable?

Thanks,
Dave

In reply to Dave Laurie

by Frederic Nevers -

Hi Dave, 

Yes, there is a list in the plugin description, which can be found at https://moodle.org/plugins/filter_multiembed

Cheers, 

Fred 

by Julia Miller -

Hi,

Do you know if the videos/Quizzes at https://study.com/ are being considered or are available through this plugin?

In reply to Julia Miller

by Frederic Nevers -

Hi Julia, 

I don't have an account with them, and cannot seem to find a way to embed the quizzes in the 'free' user interface. All I seem to be able to do is share via Facebook. Can you please send me a sample embeddable code, and I'll see if it can be done. 

Cheers, 

Fred

Re: Multi-Embed filter - adding nanoo.tv?

by Andreas Trottmann -

I'm part of the company that operates nanoo.tv, a Swiss video platform for schools.

Many of our customers desire to embed videos from nanoo.tv into their moodle courses. We support OEmbed, so this works fine for people who have the OEmbed filter installed and whitelisted nanoo.tv. However, some customers are using the Multi-Embed filter, which does not appear to support nanoo.tv yet.

Looking at your information, I'm not sure about the relation of the Multi-Embed filter and OEmbed. Most sites supported by Multi-Embed do not support OEmbed (which appears to be the reason why you created Multi-Embed in the first place), but there is also Multi-Embed support for some (such as YouTube or SoundCloud) that do support OEmbed - but you don't use OEmbed for that, but craft an iframe tag from the pasted link instead.

As some of our customers have expressed desire to have nanoo.tv links "work" in moodle when using the Multi-Embed filter, would you be interested in adding support for it, even though that would mean some kind of redundancy (because it's supported by the OEmbed filter, too)?

If so, we can gladly implement nanoo.tv support in a fork of the Multi-Embed code, and send you a pull request for it.

Kind regards,

Andreas Trottmann

Average of ratings: Useful (1)