Automated cron not sending forum post emails

Automated cron not sending forum post emails

by Narissa Tuawhiorangi -
Number of replies: 1
Picture of Core developers

Hi.  Please help.  I'm not sure how long I can keep running cron manually.

We are running Moodle 2.8.1+ (Build: 20150108) on Windows/IIS

We have just noticed (it has been the holidays for the last two weeks) that forums emails are not being sent out.  This stopped without warning possibly on the 30th September.  No changes, upgrades etc were made during this time as I was busy with another project.

The weird thing is when I run the cron manually the forum emails get sent.  When it is running through a scheduled task the forum sending part doesn't happen.

The scheduled task has been running every minute since 2014 and executes a batch file which included:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\PHP\v5.5\php.exe" -f g:\wwwroot\moodle\admin\cli\cron.php

I tried running the cron job a from a browser using another scheduled task running a program:
"C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" with the argument https://ecampus.waiariki.ac.nz/admin/cron.php?password=nottelling

I have turned on debugging and checked the logs and there seems to be no 'problems'. I have checked in the logs that other scheduled tasks appeared to be executed successfully.

I have searched the Moodle forum and found similar issues but none have solutions that are working for me.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Narissa Tuawhiorangi

Re: Automated cron not sending forum post emails

by Narissa Tuawhiorangi -
Picture of Core developers

After a week this seems to have come right (what a stressful week).  The only thing I can think that has caused this is a Windows update.  There was one a day or two before the glitch and the problem righted itself after I did another update however I was unable to find anything from Microsoft that might have caused it.