Hi

Can I set the category views by rule?

Thank you
J. Somogyi

Average of ratings: -
In reply to József Somogyi

Tárgy: Category view by rule

by József Somogyi -

Have a permission or setting or plugin or something else what is hide course categories from part of students (or student groups).
I would like to create a course categories what our part of students (X) can see and other part of students (Y) are can't.
Important I would like to the "Y" part don't see the categories structure.

(If I hide the structure the all of students are can't see the course category.
I created a new rule whose all of permissions I set to prohibit... and I added the "Y" students to this new rule in this course category  (Site administration/Courses/Manage course and categories - course category 'Assign roles') but the "Y" students are seeing the category what I would like to hide mixed )

Can somebody help me?
(sorry for my English)

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

Tárgy: Category view by rule

by József Somogyi -

Has somebody an idea? vegyes

Re: Tárgy: Category view by rule

by Melanie Scott -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
I think that is a resounding no.

That said...there might be a work around.  If you hid the categories but then created a special "page" with the courses for the first category and then added a restriction for the page which only shows the page for users with a specific field criteria in their profile.

Practical Example:  I create a category Human Resources and have a dozen courses for Human Resources.  Then I hide the category and I add a topic to the front page that says Course Options (or something).  I add a page that I call Human Resources.  I add a description that says Courses for Human Resources Professionals.  I create a link in the page content for each course in the category.  In Restrict Access, I choose to add a restriction based on User Profile Field.  I choose Department must be equal to Human Resources.  Only people who are listed as Human Resources can access (and maybe see...have to test that) the page. Save.

It is a little more work (for me it would be a huge amount, as I usually have two thousand courses per fiscal year, for 10-12 agencies with about...oh, I don't know, 70 department options (or more)...but I might do it differently...that's just an example...
Average of ratings: Useful (1)