Order itens in navigation and administration blocks alphabetically

Order itens in navigation and administration blocks alphabetically

by Daniel Neis Araujo -
Number of replies: 4
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators

Hello,

have anyone discussed this already?

I was thinking about this for a while now (after 10 years using moodle), why are not the items in the navigation menu ordered alphabetically ? First I thought there should be a "logic" behind the items, like which ones are used most, by in fact, most of the time, i find myself scrolling up and down to remember where things are.

Another example are the categories on the front page of Plugins directory. Firt I though it was alphabetically, because it starts with Activities then Blocks, by then it continues with Theme, and I thought "well, it may be by the number of plugins" , but then in the second line we have Filters after Course formats, so no clear logic here again.
I know I missed the navigation overhaul thing that whas happening some months ago, but as I saw no changes in this regard.

Maybe it could help many people that feels lost in moodle...

Kind regards,

Daniel

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Daniel Neis Araujo

Re: Order itens in navigation and administration blocks alphabetically

by Daniel Neis Araujo -

Hello,

I got no responses for this but a "Useful" rating from Just H, so I am trying again =)

Is there any logic behind the way the items are "sorted" or "ordered" or "arranged" in the administrative and navigation menus?

If not, what do you think about reorder everything alphabetically ? (After translation, of course)

Kind regards,

Daniel

In reply to Daniel Neis Araujo

by Just H -

If I remember correctly, the order was deemed to be in the "most used" functions ... and it has bugged me ever since it was set that way to be honest (obviously not enough to look into tweaking it though cool

Alpha makes more sense to me.

H

In reply to Just H

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Not knowing anything at all about coding, I'm just wondering how simple that would be to achieve in terms of - each time you change languages on your site (which I quite often do) -then the items in the blocks would have to rearrange themselves somehow? (That said, this is obviously what happens with the activity chooser.)

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Daniel Neis Araujo -

Hello,

yes, I think we should do the ordering as late as possible, maybe on the javascript generation of the trees.

As the activity chooser change the order of plug-ins, changing the order of itens in navigation would be a consistent behaviour, and with the advantage that you know where to search based on the current language and not on the original name in english.

Should I open a tracker issue for this? =)

Kind regards,

Daniel