Importing quiz in batches

Importing quiz in batches

by Jing Wang -
Number of replies: 3

Hi I'm new to Moodle and trying to learn teaching with it. I wonder why I did not come across with Moodle earlier.

While Moodle provides a pretty good quiz creation interface, however, many of the tasks are repetitive. For instance, "general feedback", "Number of choices" (for a choice question). I then googled around and found a "Quiz authoring template". Unfortunately MS Word is no longer supporting the custom xml code.

My question is, is there any plug-ins or ways of preparing and importing quiz in batch?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jing Wang

Re: Importing quiz in batches

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

About the easiest way I've found over the years to lessen repetitive tasks during question creation is:

• Use the Duplicate capability for starting new questions, that way, most of those repetitive things are already filled in.
  • Make sure that the setting, Show question text in the question list, is enabled so I can easily pick which question to duplicate for my next new question.
  • I can't always remember what each question icon represents, so I include 2 letters as the question type as part of the Question name, even though a mouse hover shows the type. I use MC, TF, SA, etc.
  • I have recently developed multiple Generico filters, that randomly pick feedback from a list of 10 possibilities. Each filter has feedback phrase appropriate for the score band. In other words, I have one for perfect scores, one for a high score range, moderate range, and encouragement to do better next time. Adding feedback is now just a matter of a couple of clicks, instead of typing a sentence for each score range I set up. If I have this already set in a question I duplicate, then I don't have to do anything for feedback in the new question.

If you like to make CLOZE type questions, there is a CLOZE Editor plugin available for both Atto and TinyMCE editors.

There is also a plugin for Microsoft Word Table format. Moodle2Word also supports importing questions from structured tables in Word directly into the Moodle question bank.

In reply to AL Rachels

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hello there smile Just commenting that I am  moving this to the Quiz forum...

In reply to Jing Wang

by Guido Hornig -
Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Jing

have you looked at the Aiken-Import Format...?

It is a easy way to create simple Multiple choice questions in Text Format.

Here is an example of the format:

What is the correct answer to this question?
A. Is it this one?
B. Maybe this answer?
C. Possibly this one?
D. Must be this one!
ANSWER: D

Which LMS has the most quiz import formats?
A) Moodle
B) ATutor
C) Claroline
D) Blackboard
E) WebCT
F) Ilias
ANSWER: A
Check out the details in the moodle documentation: https://docs.moodle.org/31/en/Aiken_format
I also have customers with moodle-Plattforms, where I programmed individual filters to import there special question type.

I also use and recommend the iSpring QuizMaker a lot, they have also a free version...
But I do not know if the free version has the same great Excel import I can use with the full version. It generates Scorm-Modules in HTML5 with Audio, Video and works great on mobile devices..